Joe is a 15-year-old, who has been referred to see the school counsellor by his teacher: Ethics and professional issues in counselling and psychology Case Study, MUM
|University||Monash University Malaysia (MUM)|
|Subject||Ethics and professional issues in counselling and psychology|
Case Study : Joe
Joe is a 15-year-old, who has been referred to see the school counsellor by his teacher who has noted that he has become withdrawn and inattentive in class, appears disheveled, and is often late to school. Joe tells the counsellor that his parents separated recently, and Joe has been living with his father, who is rarely home as he works 60 hours per week. Joe also reveals that he has been stealing money and items to support his frequent drug habit – which involves mostly marijuana, but sometimes methamphetamine (“ice”) on weekends with his friends.
Joe wants to be more in control of his drug use, and sees counselling as a way to do this. Joe tells the counsellor to promise not to tell anyone about it as he wants to be selected for a Google internship when he finishes school. This is the only reason he attends school, and has been a long held dream.
At the time of the referral, Joe’s father requested that the counsellor did not contact or discuss therapy with Joe’s mother. After the third session with Joe, the counsellor is contacted by Joe’s mother, who requests information relating to the services being provided and wants to know how Joe is progressing.
How would an ethical counselor address the ethical issues in this case?
Details of task for case study:
This assignment requires students to work through an ethical decision making model using the structure suggested by Steinman, McEnroe, & Richardson (1998).
Analyse the ethical dilemma in the case study using the following sub-headings to ensure that all steps are taken to reach a satisfactory decision. See the marking criteria for further detail of each element.
Step 1. Identify the ethical issue/s involved
Step 2. Ethical trap possibilities (i.e., objectivity, values, and circumstantiality)
Step 3. Preliminary response
Step 4. Possible consequences
Step 5. Ethical resolution
Self reflection: From the case study, outline which aspect/s of this dilemma do you anticipate would be the most challenging for you to deal with? Why?
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Recent Solved Questions
- BUS7AO: Critically evaluate the components which are widely recognised as contributory factors to the concept and occurrence of risk: Evaluating Risk Report, UOM, Malaysia
- Melastoma malabathricum or known as the duduk tree is a type of plant that comes from the Melastomaceae family: Physicochemical Characteristics of Melastoma Malabathricum Thesis, UOM, Malaysia
- CCS21403: Write a program to execute multiple tasks concurrently and with some elements of thread control using the available methods: Real-Time System Assignment, MTU, Malaysia
- FBWFF1013: Taking into consideration the fact that the $98,000 home price will grow at 4% per year, what will be the future median home selling price: Fundamentals of Finance Case Study, UUM, Malaysia
- Form a group of a maximum of three (3) members and suggest a case study of any possible realistic scenario: Programming Paradigms Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- Based on the 5-year forecasting, identify the points in the 5-year periods where the company will need additional external financing: Corporate Finance Essay, MUM, Malaysia
- Electrons or holes arc moved between two contacts by drift current in a Field Effect Transistor: Enginnering Assignment, UMP, Malaysia
- OPM530: Sustainability has gained increased attention in the global volatile setting and has pressed businesses to modify: Introduction to Operation Management Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- ENG1090: Radioactive materials, such as Plutonium-239, Radium-226, and others, decay exponentially. The amount of radioactive material: Foundation Mathematics Assignment, MUM, Malaysia
- Select any THREE companies listed in the plantation sector, on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia. Analyse and compare: Financial Management Essay, HU, Malaysia