In this laboratory practical, students are required to separate and purify unknown compounds of a given sample mixture using appropriate: Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry Report, TARC, Malaysia
|University||Tunku Abdul Rahman College (TARC)|
|Subject||Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry|
In this laboratory practical, students are required to separate and purify unknown compounds of a given sample mixture using appropriate chromatographic techniques. Students are expected to develop and critically analyze the TLC profile of the sample mixture and select the appropriate liquid chromatographic technique for the separation and purification of unknown compounds. The purified compounds are to be analyzed and their chemical structures will be established using spectroscopic techniques.
- Draw a light pencil line about 0.5 cm from the end of a TLC plate.
- Draw a small x along this line at approximately 0.5 cm from one edge. Label under the line with your pencil the sample that you will be placed at x.
- Dissolve about 1-2 mg of the given mixture of compounds in about 2-3 mL of pure dichloromethane to prepare a clear solution for TLC analysis
- Using capillary tubes, spot the above solution on the plate. Make each spot as small as possible, preferably not more than 3 mm in diameter.
- Examine the plates under an ultraviolet lamp to see if enough amount of sample solution has been applied. If not, add more samples.
- Take the eluting solvent into an appropriate beaker which serves as a developing chamber to a depth of approximately 1 cm.
- Place the prepared TLC plate carefully in the developing chamber. Cover the beaker with a watch glass.
- After the solvent has risen to about 1 cm from the top of the plate, remove the plate and mark the solvent front with a pencil.
- Let the plate dry in the fume hood.
- Examine the plate under UV light. Outline the dark spots & colored spots using a pencil.
- The spots are then visualized by putting them in an iodine chamber. Remove the plate when a definite change in appearance takes place on the plate. Note which compounds are stained with iodine and to what intensity. The iodine stains will dissipate over time.
- Record your observations to rationalize your selection of appropriate preparative chromatography for isolation of pure compounds in your next step in the practical.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Get Help By Expert
Do you need report writing help for a Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry? Malaysia Assignment Help has a group of proficient assignment helpers who provide top-quality chemistry reports that is sure to meet all your needs. Contact us today to get started!.
Recent Solved Questions
- Challenges For The Tourism Businesses During The Pandemic In Tioman Island Malaysia: Business and Management Dissertation Proposal, UTAR, Malaysia
- students are required to evaluate the psychological tests and reflect on the usability of the test in the Malaysian context: Psychological Test and Measurements Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- BMBR5103: Leadership styles and performance of academic staff in the education industry in Malaysia: Business Research Methods Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- You are required to provide a full bibliographic list of academic citations using the Harvard Referencing system: Special and Inclusive Education MA Assignment, UNM, Malaysia
- Water supply requires enormous amounts of energy to supply water at the right quality, quantity, and pressure: Environmental Technology and Management Essay, UKM, Malaysia
- You need to find a news story in the media that discusses (explicitly or implicitly) the effects of public relations: Public relations Assignment, UTAR, Malaysia
- Recall a challenging episode or problem in their life that can be related to any psychological concepts: Psychology Essay, AUTI, Malaysia
- Explain the theoretical foundations behind the establishment of post-world war economic: International Relations and Diplomacy Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- G1N2: A coffee manufacturer has recently been prosecuted for selling an underweight 100g jar of coffee: Business Mathematics Assignment, UBir, Malaysi
- Identify and evaluate the role and function of research & Identify five different types of research methods in the business computing field: Research Methodology Research Paper, MSU, Malaysia