In this laboratory practical, students are required to separate and purify unknown compounds of a given sample mixture using appropriate: Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry Report, TARC, Malaysia
|University||Tunku Abdul Rahman College (TARC)|
|Subject||Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry|
In this laboratory practical, students are required to separate and purify unknown compounds of a given sample mixture using appropriate chromatographic techniques. Students are expected to develop and critically analyze the TLC profile of the sample mixture and select the appropriate liquid chromatographic technique for the separation and purification of unknown compounds. The purified compounds are to be analyzed and their chemical structures will be established using spectroscopic techniques.
- Draw a light pencil line about 0.5 cm from the end of a TLC plate.
- Draw a small x along this line at approximately 0.5 cm from one edge. Label under the line with your pencil the sample that you will be placed at x.
- Dissolve about 1-2 mg of the given mixture of compounds in about 2-3 mL of pure dichloromethane to prepare a clear solution for TLC analysis
- Using capillary tubes, spot the above solution on the plate. Make each spot as small as possible, preferably not more than 3 mm in diameter.
- Examine the plates under an ultraviolet lamp to see if enough amount of sample solution has been applied. If not, add more samples.
- Take the eluting solvent into an appropriate beaker which serves as a developing chamber to a depth of approximately 1 cm.
- Place the prepared TLC plate carefully in the developing chamber. Cover the beaker with a watch glass.
- After the solvent has risen to about 1 cm from the top of the plate, remove the plate and mark the solvent front with a pencil.
- Let the plate dry in the fume hood.
- Examine the plate under UV light. Outline the dark spots & coloured spots using a pencil.
- The spots are then visualized by putting them in an iodine chamber. Remove the plate when a definite change in appearance takes place on the plate. Note which compounds are stained with iodine and to what intensity. The iodine stains will dissipate over time.
- Record your observations to rationalize your selection of appropriate preparative chromatography for the isolation of pure compounds in your next step in the practical.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Get Help By Expert
Do you need report writing help for a Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry? Malaysia Assignment Help has a group of proficient assignment helpers who provide top-quality chemistry reports that is sure to meet all your needs. Contact us today to get started!.
Recent Solved Questions
- MGT510: Swipe 50 limited manufactures a specialized screen protector for laptop computers: Managerial Accounting Course Work, EIU, Malaysia
- Is the urban indoor house’s environment factor related to the prevalence of Pullmonary Tuberculosis (PTB) cases then in the rural areas from 2016 to 2020 in Kinta District: Research Methodology Dissertation, UTM, Malaysia
- ETMS63020: Explain with applicable relevant examples how would you apply the following didactical principle: Economic and Management Sciences Teaching 1 Assignment, SPU, Malaysia
- BNNS6123: COVID-19 is a recently evolving communicable disease caused by novel strains of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus: Infection and Inflammation in Nursing Assignment, LUC, Malaysia
- 5615TECYPC Required to produce a 2,000-word assignment that will have to be delivered in a report structure: Creativity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Report Writing, ypc international college, Malaysia
- BM6023: As the millennium began, the future for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc., smelled sweet Not only could the company boast iconic status: Managerial Accounting & Finance Case Study, HWU, Malaysia
- MGT7201E: Many organizational theorists write of the importance of corporate culture in implementation and argue that culture needs: Strategic Management Report, IIU, Malaysia
- As a member of the AML, CDD checks need to be performed for the potential client, GMT due to the nature of the business: Banking Assignment, APU, Malaysia
- A solution containing methoxide ions, CH30* ions, in methanol can be prepared by adding sodium hydride to methanol: Organic Chemistry Assignment, UPM, Malaysia
- Poverty is considered one of the major hindrances to the economic development in the least developed countries: International Business Issues and Polices Assignment, APU, Malaysia