In this laboratory practical, students are required to separate and purify unknown compounds of a given sample mixture using appropriate: Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry Report, TARC, Malaysia
|University||Tunku Abdul Rahman College (TARC)|
|Subject||Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry|
In this laboratory practical, students are required to separate and purify unknown compounds of a given sample mixture using appropriate chromatographic techniques. Students are expected to develop and critically analyze the TLC profile of the sample mixture and select the appropriate liquid chromatographic technique for the separation and purification of unknown compounds. The purified compounds are to be analyzed and their chemical structures will be established using spectroscopic techniques.
- Draw a light pencil line about 0.5 cm from the end of a TLC plate.
- Draw a small x along this line at approximately 0.5 cm from one edge. Label under the line with your pencil the sample that you will be placed at x.
- Dissolve about 1-2 mg of the given mixture of compounds in about 2-3 mL of pure dichloromethane to prepare a clear solution for TLC analysis
- Using capillary tubes, spot the above solution on the plate. Make each spot as small as possible, preferably not more than 3 mm in diameter.
- Examine the plates under an ultraviolet lamp to see if enough amount of sample solution has been applied. If not, add more samples.
- Take the eluting solvent into an appropriate beaker which serves as a developing chamber to a depth of approximately 1 cm.
- Place the prepared TLC plate carefully in the developing chamber. Cover the beaker with a watch glass.
- After the solvent has risen to about 1 cm from the top of the plate, remove the plate and mark the solvent front with a pencil.
- Let the plate dry in the fume hood.
- Examine the plate under UV light. Outline the dark spots & coloured spots using a pencil.
- The spots are then visualized by putting them in an iodine chamber. Remove the plate when a definite change in appearance takes place on the plate. Note which compounds are stained with iodine and to what intensity. The iodine stains will dissipate over time.
- Record your observations to rationalize your selection of appropriate preparative chromatography for the isolation of pure compounds in your next step in the practical.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Get Help By Expert
Do you need report writing help for a Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry? Malaysia Assignment Help has a group of proficient assignment helpers who provide top-quality chemistry reports that is sure to meet all your needs. Contact us today to get started!.
Recent Solved Questions
- CIS2021-N: You work as a software developer for the fictitious ThreeAmigos Corp and The company wishes to overtake its rival ManshaCo: Web Apps and Services Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- GLUL2023: Mahawangsa Bhd. telah bersetuju untuk membeli tiga lot tanah dari Dato’ Abdullah Kedua dua pihak telah bersetuju untuk melaksanakan: Business Law Assignment, UUM, Malaysia
- The prices of vegetables have increased, and according to the Kuala Lumpur Vegetable Wholesalers Association: Microeconomics Assignment, MU, Malaysia
- FIN 6554/FIN6013: Case 1: Capital Budgeting: Competition in the Aircraft Industry In early 2018, Boeing was Involved in a titanic Struggle with European Consortium Airbus SAS for Dominance of the Commercial Aircraft Industry: Finance for Manager Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- BTX5220: If individuals were employed solely on their ability to do the job, there would be no need for any anti-discrimination statutes: International Issues in Employment Law Coursework, MUM, Malaysia
- Explain the term Explicit and Implicit costs. Give examples. What is Economic Profit as compared to Financial Profit: Managerial Economics Assignment, UON, Malaysia
- Explain your dataset in detail: source, number and types of attributes: Data Science Coursework, APU, Malaysia
- PGBM150: Critically analyze the management of innovation and technology transfer as a core business process: Innovation Entrepreneurship & Technology Transfer, UOS, Malaysia
- DSC7053: You are required to find any classification dataset whether from UCI or Kaggle in any field: Machine Learning Assignment Malaysia
- BBFA2203: The balance sheet date of BumBum Berhad is 31 December 2020 and the meeting of the Board of Directors is 25 March 2021: Intermediate Financial Accounting Assignment, OUM, Malaysia