BAO2203: Consolidated Financial Reporting The purpose of consolidated financial statements is to ‘present the financial affairs of a parent company: Corporate Accounting Assignment, VU, Malaysia
|University||Victoria University (VU)|
|Subject||BAO2203: Corporate Accounting|
Topic: Consolidated Financial Reporting
The purpose of consolidated financial statements is to ‘present the financial affairs of a parent company and its legally distinct subsidiaries as if they were a single unified economic entity (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 26). However, problems persist in relation to consolidated financial reporting such as ‘control when ownership is absent; technical issues of asset valuation; goodwill recognition, and minority interest presentation; and the need for separate reporting in addition to consolidated financial statements (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 38).
The international financial reporting standard that provides guidance on consolidated financial statements is IFRS 10 (Australian equivalent is AASB 10). The objective of IFRS 10/AASB 10 Consolidated Financial Statements is to ‘establish principles for the presentation and preparation of consolidated financial statements when an entity controls one or more other entities’ (AASB, 2015)
There have been positive as well as negative reports on the implementation of IFRS 10/AASB 10. For example, it leads to an increase in consolidated statements quality (Muller, 2014); the effects of the adoption are associated with financial reporting incentives (Bedford et al., 2022); or that consolidated financial statements do not possess the information content frequently attributed to them in the literature (Walker, 1976).
Based on above statements, you are required to answer following questions:
- What are the benefits and issues associated with consolidated financial reporting? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- According to an article published by Huefner and Largay III (1990), one of the issues regarding consolidated financial reporting is ‘consolidation policy: the circumstances under which subsidiaries should or should not be consolidated.’ (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 28). Why do the authors think it is an issue? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- When a parent company acquires majority ownership in existing companies, there is a question as to whether the ‘acquiring ownership in a subsidiary precipitates a new basis of accountability – a revaluation of the assets and liabilities – for the acquired company’ (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 28). Why do the authors think revaluation of assets and liabilities in a business acquisition is an issue? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- Consolidation policy is usually based on the notion of control. However, ‘even in the presence of majority ownership, it may be concluded that effective control does not exist, and hence that consolidation is inappropriate ((Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 29). Explain and discuss the concept of ‘control’ in relation to consolidated financial reporting? Can control exist without majority ownership? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Are you looking for accounting assignment help on BAO2203: Corporate Accounting? then you have come to the right website. Malaysia Assignment Help is a renowned essay writing service provider. Our experts also provide ACC 106 Introduction to Financial Accounting and Reporting assignment sample, FAR660 Advanced Financial Accounting And Reporting 2 assignment answers, FAR210 Financial Accounting And Reporting Assignment sample, FAR110 Financial Accounting 1 Assignment Example, AIS655 Accounting System Analysis And Design Assignment example, ACC406 Intermediate Financial Accounting And Reporting assignment example.
Recent Solved Questions
- Understand the aspects of liability insurance & Explain the meaning of liability insurance: International Business Assignment, TARC, Malaysia
- ECW1101: A price ceiling that is below the perfectly competitive equilibrium price creates a deadweight loss because it leads: Introductory Microeconomics Asssignment, MUM, Malaysia
- MKT302: A worldwide, consumer-driven movement toward renewable energy solutions has created global market opportunities for entrepreneurial companies: Strategic Global Marketing Case Study, HU, Malaysia
- SBCH1103: Calculate the pressure exerted by 0.0153 moles of CO2 gas in a container of 1.467 L at 20.0°C: Inorganic Chemistry Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- ADS553: Your task is to prepare a proper presentation together with a written report on any newspaper articles discussing various projects: Strategic Management For Public Sector Report, UiTM, Malaysia
- I need to create an OO program to implement the following Data Structure language for Double Linked List using C++: Programming and Data Structures Assignment, APU, Malaysia
- FBF1163: What are the problem-solving strategies and Draw the figure that shows all the phases: Fundamentals of Programming Coursework, UCSI, Malaysia
- Please choose a research problem of an organization of your choice and answer the research question: Research Methodology Assignment, UOM, Malaysia
- Explain the importance of HR management and how it relates to the management process: Human Resource Management Report, Malaysia
- The program must allow the user to create a maze on the screen by modifying code in the appropriate sections: statistic in educations research Assignment, UKM, Malaysia