BAO2203: Consolidated Financial Reporting The purpose of consolidated financial statements is to ‘present the financial affairs of a parent company: Corporate Accounting Assignment, VU, Malaysia
|University||Victoria University (VU)|
|Subject||BAO2203: Corporate Accounting|
Topic: Consolidated Financial Reporting
The purpose of consolidated financial statements is to ‘present the financial affairs of a parent company and its legally distinct subsidiaries as if they were a single unified economic entity (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 26). However, problems persist in relation to consolidated financial reporting such as ‘control when ownership is absent; technical issues of asset valuation; goodwill recognition, and minority interest presentation; and the need for separate reporting in addition to consolidated financial statements (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 38).
The international financial reporting standard that provides guidance on consolidated financial statements is IFRS 10 (Australian equivalent is AASB 10). The objective of IFRS 10/AASB 10 Consolidated Financial Statements is to ‘establish principles for the presentation and preparation of consolidated financial statements when an entity controls one or more other entities’ (AASB, 2015)
There have been positive as well as negative reports on the implementation of IFRS 10/AASB 10. For example, it leads to an increase in consolidated statements quality (Muller, 2014); the effects of the adoption are associated with financial reporting incentives (Bedford et al., 2022); or that consolidated financial statements do not possess the information content frequently attributed to them in the literature (Walker, 1976).
Based on above statements, you are required to answer following questions:
- What are the benefits and issues associated with consolidated financial reporting? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- According to an article published by Huefner and Largay III (1990), one of the issues regarding consolidated financial reporting is ‘consolidation policy: the circumstances under which subsidiaries should or should not be consolidated.’ (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 28). Why do the authors think it is an issue? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- When a parent company acquires majority ownership in existing companies, there is a question as to whether the ‘acquiring ownership in a subsidiary precipitates a new basis of accountability – a revaluation of the assets and liabilities – for the acquired company’ (Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 28). Why do the authors think revaluation of assets and liabilities in a business acquisition is an issue? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
- Consolidation policy is usually based on the notion of control. However, ‘even in the presence of majority ownership, it may be concluded that effective control does not exist, and hence that consolidation is inappropriate ((Huefner and Largay III, 1990, p. 29). Explain and discuss the concept of ‘control’ in relation to consolidated financial reporting? Can control exist without majority ownership? You must support your answer with published articles and journals.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Are you looking for accounting assignment help on BAO2203: Corporate Accounting? then you have come to the right website. Malaysia Assignment Help is a renowned essay writing service provider. Our experts also provide ACC 106 Introduction to Financial Accounting and Reporting assignment sample, FAR660 Advanced Financial Accounting And Reporting 2 assignment answers, FAR210 Financial Accounting And Reporting Assignment sample, FAR110 Financial Accounting 1 Assignment Example, AIS655 Accounting System Analysis And Design Assignment example, ACC406 Intermediate Financial Accounting And Reporting assignment example.
Recent Solved Questions
- When they come into force the provisions of the Environment Bill 2019-2021 will give real substance to the Government: Environmental Law Assignment, TUL, Malaysia
- BBF305/03: You are in a senior management position in a leading international funds management firm: Investment and Portfolio Management Case Study, WOU, Malaysia
- Select a particular MNC from the industrial sector of your choice and Discuss what are the Threats and Internal control: Accounting Information System Assignment, UCISS, Malaysia
- The buycar is a used car reseller situated in Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia. The business owner is planning: Data Structure Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- CBS1233: Select a Malaysian company that is operating domestically and that wishes to move internationally: Introduction to marketing Assignment, SC, Malaysia
- Identify and list the research objectives and Who is the target audience of the research: Bachelor of Communication with Honours Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- CHE61504: Create the dimensionless relationship and design of the airport wind anemometer: Engineering Fluid Mechanics Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- On 9th November 2022, a newly established Spanish company called ‘’The Lovely Liquor Company’’ was transporting 500 bottles: European Union Law Coursework, UOW, Malaysia
- ACC2200: Assuming you are planning to set up a business selling goods to customers in Kuala Lumpur or the Selangor area: Introduction to management accounting Assignment, MUM, Malaysia
- I know much money must be put into a bank account yielding 5% annually in order to have RM 250 at the end of five years: Financial Assignment, TARC, Malaysia