The rationale of the study is to investigate the communicative competence of the English language among Malaysian adult players: Animal Crossing Thesis, OUM, Malaysia
|University||Open University Malaysia (OUM)|
The rationale of the study is to investigate the communicative competence of the English language among Malaysian adult players of Animal Crossing: New Horizons. The game became popular since its newest version was released in March 2020. Even before the game was launched, its older series triggered communities to form on social media platforms revolving around the game.
- What are the topics of communication among the ACNH players?
- What are the reasons behind their communicative anxiety?
The significance of the study remains in the Digital Game-Based Language Learning field. It gives insights to understand that a specific game, if given enough time, can become a medium for investigation in terms of language and communication. However, the limitations of the study exist.
The study used one instrument and due to the current climate and time difference, those participants who wanted to be interviewed were not contactable. Hence, the findings could have been better analyzed if they had been from various sources.
- LITERATURE REVIEW
This chapter introduces the study of ESL adult learners from Malaysia who plays Animal Crossing: New Horizons (ACNH) and how it affects their communicative anxiety when interacting with other players. They are video game players between the ages of 18 to 40 years old.
Hwang & Wu (2010) cited in Osman & Rabu (2020) found that participants from higher education institutions are the most commonly selected in DGBLL-SLA research. The paper commences with a review of past research based on the perspectives of digital games and ESL learning and its influence on digital games on communicative skills researchers. The gap in the study is expounded further and concludes the paper.
The research is conducted qualitatively. Informed consent is asked of 50 participants when they participate in an online survey. They are chosen as they are players of the ACNH game. All participants are adults and non-native speakers of English. English may be their second or third language.
The instrument used for the study is an open-ended survey. The responses received from the participants are inquired qualitatively using content analysis. The trustworthiness of the study remains with the transparency of report writing. No data was leaked and the identities of the participants remain confidential.
The procedure of the study includes giving out the link to the survey through Google Forms. It was given out to all social media platforms that have an ACNH community. The data analysis includes using content analysis to identify common themes for their responses in order to answer the research questions.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
If you're looking for diploma assignment help in Malaysia, Malaysiaassignmenthelp.com is the perfect place for you. This full-service provider has all of the tools to guarantee your assignment success. With a team of expert assignment writers, comprehensive academic resources, and prompt customer service, they can help you get excellent results in no time.
Recent Solved Questions
- Based on your understanding of IMC, how do you think Apple has ingrained its marketing strategies: Bachelor of Marketing and Communication Case Study, OUM, Malaysia
- CT010-3-1: Assume that the place you are living in has two (2) vaccination centers (VC1 and VC2) and they require a computer program to keep the records of all vaccination done:Python Programming Assignment, AUTI, Malaysia
- Explain in your own words, the role that an Advocate & Solicitor has in the resolution of a dispute: Ethics Essay, UTHM, Malaysia
- Briefly describe your chosen research area or problem statement, and identify the issues to be investigated: Statistical Decision Making Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- Select TWO foreign cultures, one from the East and one from the West of the world. Compare and evaluate the differences between: Business Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- CSM80050: Critically review and identify issues and challenges and Critical Success Factors in contract management: Construction Contract Management Assignment, SUT, Malaysia
- A number of studies done concerning the language of instruction and students‟ performance in secondary schools: Pedagogical Implication on Student’s Performance in English Home Work, UO, Malaysia
- Planning an energy supply system i.e. hot water & PV, space heating, or cooling on the council house: Renewable Energy Assignment, UKM, Malaysia
- Malay Aunty Selling Yau Char Kwai Speaks Fluent Cantonese, Netizens Praise Her For Being A True Malaysian: Principles of Marketing Assignment, UMP, Malaysia
- INF10003: You will employ PEST analysis, SWOT analysis, and Michael Porter’s Five Forces1, applying visualization tools, in order to understand a business context and to provide succinctly : Introduction to Business Information Systems Assignment, SUT, Malaysia