Legal assignment The U.S. firm Apple operates a digital ecosystem with its own hardware and software: Ethics and Legal Implications Assignment, UMS, Malaysia
|University||University Malaysia Sabah (UMS)|
|Subject||Ethics and Legal Implications|
Legal assignment The U.S. firm Apple operates a digital ecosystem with its own hardware and software. Part of this ecosystem is an app store for which Apple holds a dominant position. Apple changed its policy of defaults in 2021: Users downloading applications from suppliers other than Apple would be asked explicitly whether they consented that the providers of these apps processed their data.
This also applies to apps that use tracking to display targeted advertising. Meta, another digital ecosystem operator, offers popular apps for services such as Instagram or WhatsApp. At the same time, Meta holds a dominant position in online advertising. Meta collects and uses data about user preferences to offer to advertise aligned with user preferences.
Meta, like Apple, moreover has ambitious goals for developing new services involving Virtual Reality (VR). Both firms use their services also to facilitate the development of VR, which relies heavily on the analysis of user preferences. Meta currently appears to be at the forefront of VR technology. In Meta’s view, Apple is using its new policy to oust app developers cooperating with Meta from Apple’s ecosystem.
This risk exists also objectively. Meta, hence, files a complaint with the European Commission, i.e., the main EU competition agency. Meta claims that Apple is abusing its dominant position under Art. 102 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU). In its defense, Apple raises the following arguments:
- The General Data Protection Regulation requires suppliers of online services to get the consent of end users before processing their data. Regarding its App Store services, Apple has to comply with this requirement.
- Meta knows that although end users value privacy, they regularly provide their consent without thinking in order to quickly get access to online services. By exploiting this behavior, Meta is abusing its dominant position in online advertising.
(1) Is Apple, on balance, acting in the interest of consumers?
(2) How would you structure your legal reasoning on whether (a) Apple or (b) Meta is abusing its dominant position in terms of Art? 102 TFEU?
(3) Google is another operator of a digital ecosystem, including a market-dominant search engine.
Google supplies online advertising services which rely, among others, on the analysis of search queries. In Europe, Google uses pop-up windows to inform end users of their GDPR rights. Google has stated publicly that it supports Apple’s policy change. Is Google acting anti-competitively?
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Get Help By Expert
Malaysia Assignment Help is the ultimate solution for students who need homework help online. Our qualified professionals are here to help you get top grades and ace your homework assignments. We provide academic writing services that are reliable and tailored to fit your individual needs.
Recent Solved Questions
- STA404: A random sample of employees was selected from three different types of stores at the mall and their ages were recorded: Statistics for Business and Social Sciences Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- BDPB2103: Briefly discuss the advantages of training and development programs to an organization: Introductory Human Resource Management Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- ETR253E: Choose one ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS (Examples: pollution, land degradation etc.) that caused by tourism industry and conduct an internet search on the impact that you have chosen: TOURISM Report, KCC, Malaysia
- Teachers play a crucial role in supporting students to continuously upgrade their knowledge and skills through effective: Teaching and Learning Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- STA404: There is an increasing trend in purchasing the laptop due to the pandemic Covid19: Statistics for Business and Social Sciences Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- Green retrofitting is acknowledged as an essential strategy for achieving long-term sustainability in the built environment: Facility Management Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Statistics Assignment, SU, Malaysia The mean daily milk production of a herd of goats has a normal distribution with a mean of 70kg and a standard deviation of 13kg What is the probability that
- BA31403: Students are required to prepare a report containing a summary of the topic: Issues In International Business Assignment, UMS, Malaysia
- MGMT20001: What suggestions do you have for the president on how to coach Jack in developing a personal improvement plan: Organisational Behaviour Case Study Malaysia
- You need to find a news story in the media that discusses (explicitly or implicitly) the effects of public relations: Public relations Assignment, UTAR, Malaysia