Why do you think Freescale focuses on metrics? Why don’t more organizations follow its approach?: Data will set you free Case Study, MUM, Malaysia
|University||Monash University Malaysia (MUM)|
|Subject||Data will set you free Case Study|
DATA WILL SET YOU FREE”
Ford CEO Alan Mulally is known for starting meetings by saying “Data will set you free” and for trying to change Ford’s culture to one that is based on increased accountability, more information sharing, and hard metrics. “You can’t manage a secret,” he is also fond of saying. Although it’s not clear whether Mulally’s approach will work at Ford, which is known for its self-contained fiefdoms where little information is shared, some companies have found that managing people according to hard metrics has paid off. Consider Freescale Semiconductor, a computer chip manufacturer based in Austin, Texas.
Freescale has discovered that in order to have the right people at the right time to do the right job, it needs an extensive and elaborate set of metrics to manage its 24,000 employees in 30 countries. Of particular concern to Freescale is retention. “There’s no greater cost than human capital, especially in the technology industry,” says Jignasha Patel, Freescale’s director of global talent sourcing and inclusion. “When you’ve got a tenured employee that decides to walk out the door, it’s not just one person leaving, it’s that person’s knowledge and network and skills.” To manage talent and prevent turnover, Freescale holds line managers accountable for recruiting, hiring, and retaining employees.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
To do that, managers need to project their talent needs into the future and reconcile those with projected availabilities. Patel provides line managers with census data that helps them make their projections, but at the end of the day, the responsibility is theirs. “What we have done is taken all of our inclusion data, all our metrics, and we’ve moved the accountability over to the business unit,” Patel says. Patel also provides Freescale managers with benchmark data so they can compare their effectiveness with that of other units. The benchmark data include the number of people hired, turnovers, and promotions—and breakdowns by demographic categories. “There’s [a return on investment] for everything we do,” says Patel.
1. Why do you think Freescale focuses on metrics? Why don’t more
organizations follow its approach? (1 POINT)
2. As a manager, would you want to be accountable for the acquisition
and retention of employees you supervise? Why or why not? (1 POINT)
3. In general, what do you think are the advantages and limitations of
such metrics? (1 POINT)
4. Freescale focused on metrics for the acquisition and retention of
employees. Do you think metrics can be applied to other areas of
management, such as employee attitudes, employee performance, or
skill development? How might those metrics be measured and
managed? (2 POINTS).
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Tackling the thought-provoking Data will set you free Case Study at MUM in Malaysia? Our tailored assignment help in Malaysia is designed to make it easier. We focus on individual assignments and offer specialized Case Study Help online to aid your coursework. Uncover why organizations like Freescale prioritize metrics. Invest in your academic success today.
Recent Solved Questions
- Oxfam is a major international development, relief, and campaigning organization dedicated to finding lasting: Operations Management Case Study, OSU, Malaysia
- DMT5023: Develop an SPSS data set based on Table 1 with a minimum of 100 responses: Statistical Analysis Assignment, MSU, Malaysia
- MGMT0201: Explain the purpose, importance, and philosophy of human resource management: Human Resource Management Assignment, SFU, Malaysia
- Analyze current economic news using one or more of the macroeconomic frameworks presented in the course: Economics Assignment, UON, Malaysia
- demonstrate the use of objects and classes, both standard library classes and user defined classes: Java Programming Assignment, APU, Malaysia
- EBQ2054 Explain the methodological contribution that has been applied in the research with supporting arguments: Business Research Method Assignment, UM, Malaysia
- Demonstrates the methods of implementing a research work, primarily delineating the research model, identifying the appropriate research design: Business Research Assignment, SUT, Malaysia
- AICT004-NWN:You are required to design and apply an IP addressing scheme for the topology shown for the DigitalSea Inc: Networks and Networking Assignment, AUTI, Malaysia
- BPMG3033: What type of transportation mode should be used by ORKID to manage the distribution of their products to the customers: Urban and rural transport management Case Study, UUM, Malaysia
- The Gestaltists emphasized the importance of figure-ground segregation in perceptual organization: Psychology Assignment, APU, Malaysia