What is your initial diagnosis and Which symptoms are consistent with your diagnosis and Explain how these symptoms arise: Human Physiology Case Study, MMU, Malaysia
|University||Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)|
CASE STUDY 1
A 55-year-old woman reports intense thirst and recurrent vaginal thrush infections. On further questioning, she describes frequent trips to the toilet and blurring of her vision.
A physical examination reveal a height of 5’3” (1.60m), weight of 12 stone 9lbs (80kg), and blood pressure of 160/100mmHg (normal <140/90). A simple “pin-prick” blood test reveals a random blood glucose of 17mmol/ L (normal < 11.1 mmol/ L).
A provisional diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is made.
- Comment on the presenting symptoms, and explain the physiological processes that lead to their presentation in this patient.
- How would you interpret the physical examination and blood test?
(BMI = weight (kg)/height (m)2 Ideal 18.5 – 25; overweight 25 – 30; obese 30 – 40
- If left untreated, this patient is at increased risk of which of the following (circle all those that are appropriate):
nephropathy, hypoglycemia, retinopathy, myocardial infarction, stroke, neuropathy, diabetic ketoacidosis, muscle-wasting, hyperglycemia, cold intolerance, postural hypotension
- How should this patient be managed?
CASE STUDY 2
A 50-year-old man reports weight loss, despite increased appetite and more frequent bowel movements over the recent weeks. His resting heart rate is 82bpm and his blood pressure is 110/76. He complains of palpitations. The doctor notices that there is also a slight bulging of the eyes and firmness around the front of the neck.
- What is your initial diagnosis?
- Which symptoms are consistent with your diagnosis? Explain how these symptoms arise.
- Regarding your diagnosis, is this a primary or secondary endocrine disorder? Explain your answer.
- What would you expect the levels of T3, T4, and TSH to be in this patient?
Finally, in a second patient with a lack of iodine in the diet:
- a) Thyroid hormones: high or low?
- b) Is this hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism?
- c) Levels of TSH – low, normal, or high?
- d) Presence of a goitre?
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Many students in Malaysia don’t manage time to complete their Human Physiology case study task. Therefore, if you need quality case study help? then you must visit MalaysiaAssignmentHelp.com. Our brilliant writers avail high-quality solutions for nursing assignments at affordable prices.
Recent Solved Questions
- WUC 107/03: As part of Budiman Secondary school’s online ‘Safety Day 2022’ celebration, you, a police officer: Workplace Communication Skills Essay, WOU, Malaysia
- The purpose of this chapter is to briefly explain the overall research topic by dividing them into sections of research background: Social Media Influencers Roles in Influencing Research Paper, UPM, Malaysia
- FIN60104: Financial ratio analysis can be used for identifying some performance-related issues faced by a firm. Indeed: Introduction to Finance Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- LIN30105: Looking at cities can give a special pleasure; however commonplace the sight may be. Like a piece of architecture: Critical and Creative Thinking Skills Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- You have identified that you want to move into or progress your clinical or administrative leadership and management: Management and Administration in Nursing Assignment, CU, Malaysia
- What are the different conceptual approaches International Human Resource Management (HRM) takes when examining HRM: Human Resource Management Essay, AeU, Malaysia
- UGB161: Knowledge and understanding of different areas of marketing, the relationships between them, and their application to international business organizations: Introduction to Marketing Assignment, UOS, Malaysia
- Organisational behaviour can be termed as the investigation of the behaviour of human beings in various settings of organisation: Organizational Behaviour Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- FIN20014 MAJESTIC Corporation is an automation company that invests much in research and development: Financial Management Assignment, AUTI, Malaysia
- In 2004, ratings are compiled concerning the performance of new cars during the first 100 days of use: Business Statics Assignment, SU, Malaysia