What is your initial diagnosis and Which symptoms are consistent with your diagnosis and Explain how these symptoms arise: Human Physiology Case Study, MMU, Malaysia
|University||Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)|
CASE STUDY 1
A 55-year-old woman reports intense thirst and recurrent vaginal thrush infections. On further questioning, she describes frequent trips to the toilet and blurring of her vision.
A physical examination reveal a height of 5’3” (1.60m), weight of 12 stone 9lbs (80kg), and blood pressure of 160/100mmHg (normal <140/90). A simple “pin-prick” blood test reveals a random blood glucose of 17mmol/ L (normal < 11.1 mmol/ L).
A provisional diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is made.
- Comment on the presenting symptoms, and explain the physiological processes that lead to their presentation in this patient.
- How would you interpret the physical examination and blood test?
(BMI = weight (kg)/height (m)2 Ideal 18.5 – 25; overweight 25 – 30; obese 30 – 40
- If left untreated, this patient is at increased risk of which of the following (circle all those that are appropriate):
nephropathy, hypoglycemia, retinopathy, myocardial infarction, stroke, neuropathy, diabetic ketoacidosis, muscle-wasting, hyperglycemia, cold intolerance, postural hypotension
- How should this patient be managed?
CASE STUDY 2
A 50-year-old man reports weight loss, despite increased appetite and more frequent bowel movements over the recent weeks. His resting heart rate is 82bpm and his blood pressure is 110/76. He complains of palpitations. The doctor notices that there is also a slight bulging of the eyes and firmness around the front of the neck.
- What is your initial diagnosis?
- Which symptoms are consistent with your diagnosis? Explain how these symptoms arise.
- Regarding your diagnosis, is this a primary or secondary endocrine disorder? Explain your answer.
- What would you expect the levels of T3, T4, and TSH to be in this patient?
Finally, in a second patient with a lack of iodine in the diet:
- a) Thyroid hormones: high or low?
- b) Is this hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism?
- c) Levels of TSH – low, normal, or high?
- d) Presence of a goitre?
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Many students in Malaysia don’t manage time to complete their Human Physiology case study task. Therefore, if you need quality case study help? then you must visit MalaysiaAssignmentHelp.com. Our brilliant writers avail high-quality solutions for nursing assignments at affordable prices.
Recent Solved Questions
- For the first assignment, you are required to play the role of a researcher and paper presenter for a topic to be chosen from Week: Diplomacy: Theory & Practice Essay, AUTI, Malaysia
- There will be activities administered throughout the semester at any time during lectures or tutorials: Psychology Assignment, MUM, Malaysia
- MPU 2163: Mencapai keputusan yang cemerlang dalam pelajaran adalah pencapaian yang diidam-idamkan oleh semua yang bergelar pelajar: Pengajian Malaysia Essay, IIU, Malaysia
- ACC30305: Mr Peter, a sole trader, started his frozen food business on 1st January 2021 under the name of Peter Frozen Enterprise: Principles of Accounting Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- MGT555: Differentiate between nominal, ordinal, ratio, and interval data and Provide one example for each type of data: Business Analytic Home Work, UiTM, Malaysia
- BAGB1023: You are required to prepare a Change Management Plan for the Company: Organizational Behaviour Assignment, UIU, Malaysia
- ITS64304: You are informed that this message has been encrypted as a mono-alphabetic cipher: Theory of Computation Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- Identify the five modes of transportation and what are the advantages and disadvantages: Logistics and Transportation Assignment, MISI, Malaysia
- MBA6073: Bank Negara Malaysia said today household debt, as measured by the household debt-to-gross domestic product ratio: Managerial Economics Assignment, HU, Malaysia
- Mr.Shahrul Affendy had been appointed to lead the finance team of Extreme Broadband Corporation: Financial Management Assignment, UniKL, Malaysia