What is your initial diagnosis and Which symptoms are consistent with your diagnosis and Explain how these symptoms arise: Human Physiology Case Study, MMU, Malaysia
|University||Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)|
CASE STUDY 1
A 55-year-old woman reports intense thirst and recurrent vaginal thrush infections. On further questioning, she describes frequent trips to the toilet and blurring of her vision.
A physical examination reveal a height of 5’3” (1.60m), weight of 12 stone 9lbs (80kg), and blood pressure of 160/100mmHg (normal <140/90). A simple “pin-prick” blood test reveals a random blood glucose of 17mmol/ L (normal < 11.1 mmol/ L).
A provisional diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is made.
- Comment on the presenting symptoms, and explain the physiological processes that lead to their presentation in this patient.
- How would you interpret the physical examination and blood test?
(BMI = weight (kg)/height (m)2 Ideal 18.5 – 25; overweight 25 – 30; obese 30 – 40
- If left untreated, this patient is at increased risk of which of the following (circle all those that are appropriate):
nephropathy, hypoglycemia, retinopathy, myocardial infarction, stroke, neuropathy, diabetic ketoacidosis, muscle-wasting, hyperglycemia, cold intolerance, postural hypotension
- How should this patient be managed?
CASE STUDY 2
A 50-year-old man reports weight loss, despite increased appetite and more frequent bowel movements over the recent weeks. His resting heart rate is 82bpm and his blood pressure is 110/76. He complains of palpitations. The doctor notices that there is also a slight bulging of the eyes and firmness around the front of the neck.
- What is your initial diagnosis?
- Which symptoms are consistent with your diagnosis? Explain how these symptoms arise.
- Regarding your diagnosis, is this a primary or secondary endocrine disorder? Explain your answer.
- What would you expect the levels of T3, T4, and TSH to be in this patient?
Finally, in a second patient with a lack of iodine in the diet:
- a) Thyroid hormones: high or low?
- b) Is this hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism?
- c) Levels of TSH – low, normal, or high?
- d) Presence of a goitre?
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Many students in Malaysia don’t manage time to complete their Human Physiology case study task. Therefore, if you need quality case study help? then you must visit MalaysiaAssignmentHelp.com. Our brilliant writers avail high-quality solutions for nursing assignments at affordable prices.
Recent Solved Questions
- The number of bags lost by a small airline per week is approximately normally distributed with a mean of 427 bags: Statistics in Social Science Assignment, HWU, Malaysia
- BBFA2203: The balance sheet date of BumBum Berhad is 31 December 2020 and the meeting of the Board of Directors is 25 March 2021: Intermediate Financial Accounting Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Draw 3 marketing channels for the consumer market with appropriate examples In order to plan the strategies for the marketing channel: Macroeconomic Report, PM, Malaysia
- BM6023: As the millennium began, the future for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc., smelled sweet Not only could the company boast iconic status: Managerial Accounting & Finance Case Study, HWU, Malaysia
- EEPB353: Refer to the simplified Power System Network of a transmission system network Recently, The government’s economic planning: Power System Assignment, UOM, Malaysia
- FIN 6554/FIN6013: Case 1: Capital Budgeting: Competition in the Aircraft Industry In early 2018, Boeing was Involved in a titanic Struggle with European Consortium Airbus SAS for Dominance of the Commercial Aircraft Industry: Finance for Manager Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- You are required to program 2 out of 3, of these TASKS; calculate the circumference of a cuboid: Microprocessors & Microcomputer Assignment, UPNM, Malaysia
- ACC4284: Analyze the way in which theory, practice, and rules in accounting and finance are fit for the purpose within the context of the economic: Emerging Issues in Accounting & Finance Assignment, IIU, Malaysia
- You are employed as the Finance Director of Acme Utilities Inc Recently, the board of your organisation noticed that the powerplant was producing too much air pollution: Managerial Finance and Globalisation Assignment, MMU, Malaysia
- OUMH1203: With the current pandemic situation in Malaysia, homeschooling is gaining MORE popularity among Malaysian parents: English for Written Communication Assignment, OUM, Malaysia