What is your initial diagnosis and Which symptoms are consistent with your diagnosis and Explain how these symptoms arise: Human Physiology Case Study, MMU, Malaysia
|University||Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU)|
CASE STUDY 1
A 55-year-old woman reports intense thirst and recurrent vaginal thrush infections. On further questioning, she describes frequent trips to the toilet and blurring of her vision.
A physical examination reveal a height of 5’3” (1.60m), weight of 12 stone 9lbs (80kg), and blood pressure of 160/100mmHg (normal <140/90). A simple “pin-prick” blood test reveals a random blood glucose of 17mmol/ L (normal < 11.1 mmol/ L).
A provisional diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is made.
- Comment on the presenting symptoms, and explain the physiological processes that lead to their presentation in this patient.
- How would you interpret the physical examination and blood test?
(BMI = weight (kg)/height (m)2 Ideal 18.5 – 25; overweight 25 – 30; obese 30 – 40
- If left untreated, this patient is at increased risk of which of the following (circle all those that are appropriate):
nephropathy, hypoglycemia, retinopathy, myocardial infarction, stroke, neuropathy, diabetic ketoacidosis, muscle-wasting, hyperglycemia, cold intolerance, postural hypotension
- How should this patient be managed?
CASE STUDY 2
A 50-year-old man reports weight loss, despite increased appetite and more frequent bowel movements over the recent weeks. His resting heart rate is 82bpm and his blood pressure is 110/76. He complains of palpitations. The doctor notices that there is also a slight bulging of the eyes and firmness around the front of the neck.
- What is your initial diagnosis?
- Which symptoms are consistent with your diagnosis? Explain how these symptoms arise.
- Regarding your diagnosis, is this a primary or secondary endocrine disorder? Explain your answer.
- What would you expect the levels of T3, T4, and TSH to be in this patient?
Finally, in a second patient with a lack of iodine in the diet:
- a) Thyroid hormones: high or low?
- b) Is this hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism?
- c) Levels of TSH – low, normal, or high?
- d) Presence of a goitre?
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Many students in Malaysia don’t manage time to complete their Human Physiology case study task. Therefore, if you need quality case study help? then you must visit MalaysiaAssignmentHelp.com. Our brilliant writers avail high-quality solutions for nursing assignments at affordable prices.
Recent Solved Questions
- CSC584: MyBaju Sdn. Bhd. is a Baju Melayu specialist company in Melaka. The company’s custom and tailor-made Baju: Enterprise Programming Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- MGT212: Summary of the business and current environment e.g., with or without data analysis: Business Analytics Assignment, UOM, Malaysia
- Choose 3 cryptocurrencies from the list that you think can become important cryptocurrencies in the future: Information System Management Report, UTM, Malaysia
- HMEF5133: The objective of the assignment is to enhance learners’ ability in researching a topic of study : Directed Reading Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- When they come into force the provisions of the Environment Bill 2019-2021 will give real substance to the Government: Environmental Law Assignment, TUL, Malaysia
- KIG1006:Design a simple product based on your innovation apply, combine or improve product functions that consist of approximately five parts drawings and one assembly drawing: Engineering drawing, Assignment, UTM, Malaysia
- BM6023: As the millennium began, the future for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc., smelled sweet Not only could the company boast iconic status: Managerial Accounting & Finance Case Study, HWU, Malaysia
- Suppose that an accounting firm does a study to determine the time needed to complete one person’s tax forms: Fundamental of Statistics Assignment, APU, Malaysia
- MGW2230: What is Organizational behavior (OB) Essay, MUM, Malaysia
- MGT7101: A brief introduction of the organization, with a general discussion on its service offering and industry: Managing Operations of Business Assignment, PBS, Malaysia