The Pandora Company, a U.S.-based manufacturer of furniture and appliances that offshores all of its manufacturing operations to Asia: Operations Management & Analytics, UNM, Malaysia
|University of Nottingham Malaysia (UNM)
|Operations Management & Analytics
The Pandora Company, a U.S.-based manufacturer of furniture and appliances that offshores all of its manufacturing operations to Asia, has distribution centers at various locations on the East Coast near ports where their items are imported on container ships. In many cases, their appliances and furniture arrive partially assembled, and they complete the assembly at their distribution centers before sending the finished products to retailers. For example, appliance motors, electric controls, housings, and furniture pieces might arrive from different Asian manufacturers in separate containers. Recently, the company began exporting its products to various locations in Europe, and demand steadily increased.
As a result, the company determined that shipping items to the United States, assembling the products, and then turning around and shipping them to Europe was inefficient and not cost- effective. The company now plans to open three new distribution centers near ports in Europe, so that it will ship the items from Asian ports to its distribution centers at the European ports, offload some of the items for final product assembly, and then ship the partially filled containers on to its U.S. distribution centers. The table 1.1 shows the seven possible distribution center locations near container ports in Europe and their container capacities; the container shipments from each of its Asian ports; and the container shipping cost from each of its Asian ports to each possibie distribution center location. The table 1.2 shows the demand from each of the U.S. ports and the cost for container shipments from each of the possible distribution center locations to each of the U.S. ports.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Determine the three distribution center locations in Europe that Pandora should select, and the shipments from each of the Asian ports to these selected distribution centers, and from the European distribution centers to the U.S. ports that will result in the lowest overall cost for the 1 year of operations. You are expected to show a) the minimizing equation, b) all the supply, demand and any other required constraint equations and c) the minimum overall costs. You are also expected to show the tables that you have developed in Excel in order to use the Solver Add-In to compute the solution to the problem.
All answers must be submitted in 1 MSWord file. You may paste pictures in the MSWord document. As such, you may answer in other formats (example – hand drawn pictures, MSExcel sheets, Other formats etc) but the final answer must be pasted as a picture into your MSWord file.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
For UNM Malaysia's Operations Management & Analytics students, our platform offers premier support services, including assignment writing service in Malaysia and specialized Research Paper Writing Help in Malaysia. Pay for expert assistance and excel in courses like the one featuring The Pandora Company. Elevate your academic success with us!
Recent Solved Questions
- BAFB4124: Small Investors Berhad, a large foreign mutual fund, is considering investing in stocks on Bursa Malaysia. One of the portfolio: Investment Analysis Assignment, UIU, Malaysia
- Analisis Peribahasa Peribahasa merupakan bahasa kiasan yang kerap digunakan untuk menyampaikan mesej: Semantics of Malay Essay, UM, Malaysia
- E-Waste Management in Malaysia: Residents’ Willingness to Pay for Household E-Waste Recycling in Kuching, Sarawak: Social Science Research Paper, UMS, Malaysia
- OUMH1203: The Disadvantages of Social Media have Long been the Topic of Debate: English For Written Communication Assignment, OUM
- Box Company is designing a rectangular box with a square-based pyramid lid that will have a cuboid volume of 2020 m3: Mathematics Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- Find recent cases of successful text mining and Web mining applications. Visit the websites of some text: Business Intelligence and Analytics Systems Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- BAC3644: Platina Jubilee Sdn. Bhd. was incorporated in Malaysia on 5th May 2017 with an authorized ordinary share capital: Taxation 2 Assignment, MMU, Malaysia
- FIN 302: Which economic and legal factors have been affecting your selected financial institutions? Give appropriate reasons to justify your arguments: Financial Environment Assignment, MRSB, Malaysia
- Describe the Product Life Cycle and elaborate on the strategic moves that the firm needs to adopt at the Introduction: Marketing Innovation Assignment, MMU, Malaysia
- MGT555: The worksheet in the Excel File Berkat Malaysia Data provides information about 65 sales: Business Analytics Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia