I’VE DEVOTED MOST OF MY life to working for the poorest people, particularly the poorest women, trying to remove: Business Economics Assignment, UMS, Malaysia
|University||Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UMS)|
I’VE DEVOTED MOST OF MY life to working for the poorest people, particularly the poorest women, trying to remove the hurdles they face in their efforts to improve their lives. Through the tool known as microcredit, Grameen Bank, which I launched in my home country of Bangladesh in 1976, makes capital available to poor villagers, especially women. Microcredit has since unleashed the entrepreneurial capabilities of over 300 million poor people around the world, helping to break the chains of poverty and exploitation that have enslaved them.
The impact of microcredit in enabling millions of people to lift themselves out of poverty helped to expose the shortcomings of a traditional banking system that denied its services to those who needed them most—the world’s poorest people. This is just one of many interrelated problems suffered by the poor: lack of institutional services, lack of clean drinking water and sanitary facilities, lack of health care, inadequate education, substandard housing, no access to energy, neglect in old age, and many more. And these problems are not restricted to the developing world.
In my global travels, I’ve found that low-income people in the world’s richest nations are suffering from many of the same problems. In the words of Angus Deaton, a Nobel Prize–winning economist, “If you had to choose between living in a poor village in India and living in the Mississippi Delta or in a suburb of Milwaukee in a trailer park, I’m not sure who would have the better life.”
THE TROUBLES PLAGUING POOR PEOPLE throughout the world reflect an even broader economic and social problem—the problem of rising inequality caused by continuous wealth concentration.
Inequality has been a hot subject in politics for ages. Many powerful political and social movements and many ambitious initiatives have been launched in recent years that attempt to address this problem. Much blood has been shed on the issue. But the problem is as far from being solved as ever. In fact, plenty of evidence shows that, in recent decades, the problem of the ever-expanding gap in individual wealth has been getting worse. As the economy grows, so does the concentration of wealth.
This trend has continued and even accelerated despite the positive effects of national and international development programs, income redistribution programs, and other efforts to alleviate the problems of low-income people. Microcredit and other programs have helped many lift themselves out of poverty, but at the same time, the richest have continued to claim a greater share of the world’s wealth.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Get Help By Expert
Malaysiaassignmenthelp.com is the essay writing help website that you can count on for reliable and affordable services. Our team of expert essay writers is highly qualified, with degrees in various fields, and is committed to providing you with quality essay writing that meets the highest academic standards. With our friendly support staff always available to assist you, it has never been easier to get assignment writing assistance online!
Recent Solved Questions
- BNNS6314 Discuss the differences between the roles, responsibilities, and challenges of the community nurse and the hospital nurse. (500 words): Community Health Nursing Assignment, LUC, Malaysia
- Digital Storytelling Products As Means To Increase Generativity Amongst Malaysian Educators In Middle Or Late Adulthood: Psychology Research Paper, SU, Malaysia
- Analyze the circuit using, the nodal method, and find the value of voltages at nodes A, B, and C: Electrical Technology Assignment, UKM, Malaysia
- BBPB2103: Select any organization of your choice. Explain the environmental factors and the impacts on the practices of human resource: Human Resource Management Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Nothing highlights the dynamic nature of business more than the rise of social media. As tablets, iPhones, e-readers: Understanding Business Essay, UWS, Malaysia
- CBMS4303: Information system is one of the big and popular issues where most companies and organizations currently struggling to get the best out of their data management: Management information system Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- What are the differences between managers and entrepreneurs, and why should entrepreneurs be concerned: Entrepreneurship Essay, UUM, Malaysia
- Recently there have been a lot of companies implementing telecommunicating work mode in their company: Strategic Human Resource Management Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- Social control is the study of the mechanisms, in the form of patterns of pressure, through which society maintains: Crime and Society Assignment, UUM, Malaysia
- EEE3473: Design a 4-bit BCD adder that will add two BCD numbers and produce the sum in BCD format. If the sum of two numbers: Digital System Assignment, UPNM, Malaysia