Dengue epidemiological characteristic in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor, Malaysia: Mathematics and Computers in Simulation Research Paper, Malaysia
|University of Science Malaysia
|Mathematics and Computers in Simulation
Dengue epidemiological characteristic in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor, Malaysia
In the last few decades, dengue remains a leading public health problem in Malaysia. The problem persists with the increasing trend of cases despite the implementation of various interventions by the Ministry of Health Malaysia. The difficulty in eradicating dengue disease throughout the world is related to the complexity of the dengue phenomenon. With no access to a safe, effective, and affordable dengue vaccine, the only intervention strategy is to control the mosquito vector. In reality, data on mosquitoes is limited, and in most cases, the dynamic of mosquitoes is unobservable. In this study, based on the dengue incidence data in Malaysia−Kuala Lumpur and Selangor−from the year 2011 to 2014, a transmission model of type SI-SIR is constructed.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Transmission rates in the two locations are estimated from the data fitting of the dynamic of infected human to dengue incidence. The average infection rate and the estimated average reproduction number for Selangor are estimated to be 0.1674 week−1 and 1.025, respectively. An enclave in Selangor, the capital city Kuala Lumpur has slightly lower average dengue infection rate of 0.1656 week−1 and estimated average reproduction number of 1.014. Further sensitivity analysis indicated that the dengue infection rate is the critical parameter of dengue transmission in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor.
This implies that dengue control strategies should focus on reducing the dengue infection rate. Numerical simulations are also performed to validate the estimated dengue infection rate, to illustrate the dengue dynamics and to determine the effects of dengue control strategies in the two selected locations. The predictive test results of this method also provide good results in capturing the pattern of dengue cases both in Kuala Lumpur and in Selangor. Numerical simulations on instantaneous reproduction number reveal that the instantaneous reproduction number of Kuala Lumpur varies between 0.8 and 1.28 while the instantaneous reproduction number of Selangor varies between 0.7 and 1.2. The insights and results presented in this paper are useful to the relevant authorities in analyzing the effect of mosquito intervention for reducing the prevalence of dengue in Malaysia.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Struggling with coursework at the University of Science Malaysia? Your solution is here! Our dedicated services, including Malaysia Assignment Helper and Research Paper Writing Help, are tailored for students.If you're grappling with "Dengue epidemiological characteristics in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor, Malaysia" for your Mathematics and Computers in Simulation research paper, fear not! We're here to guide you through. Simplify your academic journey and focus on success at the University of Science Malaysia with our expert assistance.
Recent Solved Questions
- BCS2143: You are required to develop a Java Application-based banking application that enables customers to apply for loans online: Object Oriented Programming Assignment, UMP, Malaysia
- The main objective of the Assessment is to allow the students to have further understanding of computer Operating Systems: Computer and Operating Systems Assignment, PSB Academy, Malaysia
- Identification of current and anticipated challenges in the field of Project Management: Project Management Case Study, OUM, Malaysia
- Compare and contrast the use of welding and mechanical joining processes in the manufacture of a steel table: Manufacturing Process Assignment, UTM, Malaysia
- Sulfur dioxide (SO₂) is a harmful gas primarily emitted from fossil fuel combustion at the TAPCO power plant: Mass Transfer Assignment, MUM, Malaysia
- CHE433: Considering a pump that is used to pump seawater at different depths, shown here in Figure: Thermodynamics Assignment, UTM, Malaysia
- BFW2341: Explore the international financial environment and the importance of foreign exchange risk management: International Financial Management Essay, MUM, Malaysia
- As a creative director of a new fashion company, you are required to create one fashionable product: Innovation Management Report, UniKL, Malaysia
- XBSM2103: The Present Organization where You are Serving had Planned to Open: Basic Security Management Assignment, OUM
- To become more aware of critical aspects of the service encounter from a customer’s perspective: Service Marketing Assignment, SU, Malaysia