Banks in distress present a threat to orderliness and stability in financial markets. Left unresolved, users and providers: Islamic Financial System Assignment, LU, Malaysia
|University||LimKokWing University (LU)|
|Subject||Islamic Financial System|
Banks in distress present a threat to orderliness and stability in financial markets. Left unresolved, users and providers of funds in distressed banks quickly respond to uncertainty, rumors, and loss of confidence–all combined in precipitating a run on depositors’ funds. Evidence suggests that during bank runs, depositors fail to distinguish between good and bad banks (Hasan & Dwyer, 2007; Chen & Hasan, 2008).
This behavior was exemplified in the collapse of Islamic Bank Ltd (IBL) in South Africa in 1997. Associated with this failure was the seriousness of the bank run on muÌÉrabah-contracted deposits first occasioned by noise, then opaque operational information, lack of confidence, and finally contraventions of law, dodgy accounting, poor operational practices, and SharÊÑah non-compliance.
The result of IBL’s collapse showed up in reputational damage to the nascent development of Islamic finance in that country (Loonat, 2004). Its failure was not occasioned by a lack of faith in Islamic finance, but by a lack of good governance and management practices revealed in the South African Reserve Bank’s (SARB) Inspectors’ Report (IR).
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Reacting to rumors, IBL management unconscionably assured that depositors’ savings were safe while the opposite prevailed. The bank’s largest SharÊÑah attenuation was accumulating ribÉ-based property debt which, weighed against its heavy promotion of SharÊÑah compliance, was at odds with its own ethical charter and public image.
This paper presents evidence of the causes and consequences of the bank’s collapse. The next section deals with a review of the literature on bank failure with a focus on experiences in South Africa. Thereafter follows a discussion on methodology and data. Finally, empirical evidence is presented together with a discussion of the implications of bank failure for Islamic finance.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
Malaysia Assignment Help offers an affordable Do My Assignment service in which our experts complete your Islamic Financial System Assignment in a top-quality manner before the deadline and help you to score high grades in your class. Besides this, we also provide MAF503 Financial Management Assignment Help.
Recent Solved Questions
- With an average annual growth rate of 11.2% over the past twelve years, tourism has been integral to the economy: Fundamental of Integrated Marketing Communication Case Study, UUM, Malaysia
- BBF305/03: Suppose there are an infinite number of assets with an expected return of 12% p a and a standard deviation: Investment and Portfolio Management Assignment, WOU, Malaysia
- UEEN1043:you are asked to demonstrate a program that uses the container class in Python :Object-Oriented Concept and Programming Techniques Assignment, UTAR, Malaysia
- Using suitable gender theories, analyze the different representations of masculinity in the novel Jane Eyre: English Essay, UOM, Malaysia
- Poverty is considered one of the major hindrances to the economic development in the least developed countries: International Business Issues and Polices Assignment, APU, Malaysia
- Analyse general problem-solving strategies and algorithmic paradigms, and apply them to solving new problems: Algorithms and Data Structure Assignment, UTM, Malaysia
- Mrs Spoon is a 48-year-old woman who works part-time as a kindergarten assistant come to physiotherapy clinic with the history of Pain: PHYSIOTHERAPY Assignment, MU, Malaysia
- Pelajar dikehendaki menghasilkan sebuah tugasan ilmiah yang berkisar kepada tema yang akan ditentukan olch pcnsyarah: Pengantar Penulisan Assignment, UUM, Malaysia
- MGW2230: What is Organizational behavior (OB) Essay, MUM, Malaysia
- DEE20033: The SR flip-flop, also known as an SR Latch, can be considered as one of the most basic sequential logic circuits possible: Digital Electronics Report, PM, Malaysia