Banks in distress present a threat to orderliness and stability in financial markets. Left unresolved, users and providers: Islamic Financial System Assignment, LU, Malaysia
|University||LimKokWing University (LU)|
|Subject||Islamic Financial System|
Banks in distress present a threat to orderliness and stability in financial markets. Left unresolved, users and providers of funds in distressed banks quickly respond to uncertainty, rumors, and loss of confidence–all combined in precipitating a run on depositors’ funds. Evidence suggests that during bank runs, depositors fail to distinguish between good and bad banks (Hasan & Dwyer, 2007; Chen & Hasan, 2008).
This behavior was exemplified in the collapse of Islamic Bank Ltd (IBL) in South Africa in 1997. Associated with this failure was the seriousness of the bank run on muÌÉrabah-contracted deposits first occasioned by noise, then opaque operational information, lack of confidence, and finally contraventions of law, dodgy accounting, poor operational practices, and SharÊÑah non-compliance.
The result of IBL’s collapse showed up in reputational damage to the nascent development of Islamic finance in that country (Loonat, 2004). Its failure was not occasioned by a lack of faith in Islamic finance, but by a lack of good governance and management practices revealed in the South African Reserve Bank’s (SARB) Inspectors’ Report (IR).
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Reacting to rumors, IBL management unconscionably assured that depositors’ savings were safe while the opposite prevailed. The bank’s largest SharÊÑah attenuation was accumulating ribÉ-based property debt which, weighed against its heavy promotion of SharÊÑah compliance, was at odds with its own ethical charter and public image.
This paper presents evidence of the causes and consequences of the bank’s collapse. The next section deals with a review of the literature on bank failure with a focus on experiences in South Africa. Thereafter follows a discussion on methodology and data. Finally, empirical evidence is presented together with a discussion of the implications of bank failure for Islamic finance.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
Malaysia Assignment Help offers an affordable Do My Assignment service in which our experts complete your Islamic Financial System Assignment in a top-quality manner before the deadline and help you to score high grades in your class. Besides this, we also provide MAF503 Financial Management Assignment Help.
Recent Solved Questions
- DPB20043: Choose a company that protects its products using any one of the types of intellectual property as the above diagram: Management Information System Case Study, PM, Malaysia
- Malaysia is a developing country. Rapid development, deforestation, destruction of mountains, and many other activities: Environmental Impact Assignment, UU, Malaysia
- Ruby Berhad, a Malaysian company signed a contract on 1 December 2019 to buy machinery from Ecuador payable: Advance Financial Accounting Home Work, SU, Malaysia
- PSY1034: Students are required to discuss how small changes in the brain can create a difference in the action of an individual more precisely in the person’s behavior: biological Psychology Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- How does Flextronics’ operations strategy help the company satisfy its customers and What specific operations competencies must Flextronics: Operations Management Case Study, RVU, Malaysia
- You have been hired as a management consultant to analyze the current financial position of the company: Finance Accounting and Management Report, UON, Malaysia
- According to a Report from The World Bank, Malaysia Economic Monitor, June 2015: English For Written Communication Essay, OUM
- The new working mode for the company, requires setting up new procedures for employees, as well as expectations: Strategic Human Resource Management Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- D30IC: Originally proposed in 2010 by the Malay real estate developer PNB. With the initial foundation and groundworks commencing: Innovation In Construction Practice Case Study, HWU, Malaysia
- LAW034 Maria Mercedes Fernandez is a well-known and respected investigative journalist in the State of Papaya: Introduction To Legal Theories Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia