The prices of vegetables have increased, and according to the Kuala Lumpur Vegetable Wholesalers Association: Microeconomics Assignment, MU, Malaysia
|University||Multimedia University (MMU)|
The prices of vegetables have increased, and according to the Kuala Lumpur Vegetable Wholesalers Association, the northeast monsoon is to blame for it.
Free Malaysia Today reported that the prices of cauliflower, beans, chillies, and several other vegetables have risen by about 200% over the last two weeks.
According to an infographic posted by Harian Metro today, 24 November, cauliflower has more than doubled in price from RM7/kg to RM16/kg, while the price of broccoli has increased from RM8/kg to RM20/kg.
Meanwhile, the price of bok choy — or saw pendek — has seen the steepest increase, as it has tripled from RM3/kg to RM9/kg.
The price of cabbage has also increased by 33% from RM4/kg to RM6/kg.
Speaking to Free Malaysia Today, KLWA president Wong Keng Fatt said the monsoon has caused floods and landslides in Cameron Highlands and other vegetable-growing areas.
The bad weather has affected crop growth, which led to the supply shortage while demand remains strong.
Wong also attributed the high prices to a lack of manpower on farms.
“The slow recovery of the economy is making it difficult to bring in workers from overseas,” said the KLWA president.
He said distributors in Cameron Highlands, where much of the country’s vegetables are grown, had told him about the problems they face, such as floods, landslides, and the shortage of manpower.
Meanwhile, Malaysia imports about two-thirds of its vegetable needs said Cameron Highlands Vegetable Farmers Association president Chai Kok Lim.
Chai said the global border restriction caused by the pandemic has severed the supply chain.
“These prices are greatly influenced by the laws of supply and demand,” he said, adding, “Vegetables like chillies are expensive because they are seasonal and depend on import factors.”
Chai also said the increase in transportation costs also left distributors no choice but to raise prices.
It is believed that high vegetable prices are expected to stay until the Chinese New Year holidays are over
Yesterday, 23 November, the Consumers’ Association of Penang urged the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs and the Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority to take immediate steps to reduce the prices, reported New Straits Times.
In the English daily report, Penang KPDNHEP director Mohd Ridzuan Ab Ghapar explained that the price hike is due to the extreme cold weather in producing countries, as well as the increased cost of container transportation all of which have reduced the supply of imported vegetables.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Recent Solved Questions
- AICT004-3-2-NWN: You are required to design and apply an IP addressing scheme for the topology shown for The Evergreen Resort network: Networks and Networking Assignment, APU, Malaysia
- Show an excellent description and discussion of issues and material with evidence of critical evaluation of issues and material: Advanced Financial Management Assignment, UUM, Malaysia
- Pilihan raya adalah mekanisme utama dalam membuktikan sistem demokrasi dipraktikkan di sesebuah negara: Kenegaraan Dan Pembangunan Mutakhir Report, UTHM, Malaysia
- CSEB2113: Write C++ statements to perform the following tasks: Declare a variable name my Class of type integer in an array form with size 20: Programming 1 Assignment, TNU, Malaysia
- GACT5113: Due to rising labour costs in Malaysia, Domain Computer, based in Singapore, is considering shifting part of its production facilities: Managerial Accounting Assignment, UTAR, Malaysia
- BBF305/03: Evaluate the three mutual funds using Sharpe and Treynor measure and Given the risk-free rate is 5%: Investment and Portfolio Management Assignment, WOU, Malaysia
- Do investors and other market participants use financial and sustainability information for investment decisions: Emerging Issues in Accounting and Finance Report, UM, Malaysia
- TWT2231: Your task is to write a report on the design and development of your project: Web Technique and Application Coursework, MMU, Malaysia
- ‘Gardeners love this crap: That’s the slogan for Pierce Ledbetter’s Memphis, Tennessee-based company, Zoo Doo: Entrepreneurship Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- To develop knowledge of the important labor supply and demand concepts and demonstrate this knowledge in the assignment: workforce planning Report, OUM, Malaysia