The prices of vegetables have increased, and according to the Kuala Lumpur Vegetable Wholesalers Association: Microeconomics Assignment, MU, Malaysia
|University||Multimedia University (MMU)|
The prices of vegetables have increased, and according to the Kuala Lumpur Vegetable Wholesalers Association, the northeast monsoon is to blame for it.
Free Malaysia Today reported that the prices of cauliflower, beans, chillies, and several other vegetables have risen by about 200% over the last two weeks.
According to an infographic posted by Harian Metro today, 24 November, cauliflower has more than doubled in price from RM7/kg to RM16/kg, while the price of broccoli has increased from RM8/kg to RM20/kg.
Meanwhile, the price of bok choy — or saw pendek — has seen the steepest increase, as it has tripled from RM3/kg to RM9/kg.
The price of cabbage has also increased by 33% from RM4/kg to RM6/kg.
Speaking to Free Malaysia Today, KLWA president Wong Keng Fatt said the monsoon has caused floods and landslides in Cameron Highlands and other vegetable-growing areas.
The bad weather has affected crop growth, which led to the supply shortage while demand remains strong.
Wong also attributed the high prices to a lack of manpower on farms.
“The slow recovery of the economy is making it difficult to bring in workers from overseas,” said the KLWA president.
He said distributors in Cameron Highlands, where much of the country’s vegetables are grown, had told him about the problems they face, such as floods, landslides, and the shortage of manpower.
Meanwhile, Malaysia imports about two-thirds of its vegetable needs said Cameron Highlands Vegetable Farmers Association president Chai Kok Lim.
Chai said the global border restriction caused by the pandemic has severed the supply chain.
“These prices are greatly influenced by the laws of supply and demand,” he said, adding, “Vegetables like chillies are expensive because they are seasonal and depend on import factors.”
Chai also said the increase in transportation costs also left distributors no choice but to raise prices.
It is believed that high vegetable prices are expected to stay until the Chinese New Year holidays are over
Yesterday, 23 November, the Consumers’ Association of Penang urged the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs and the Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority to take immediate steps to reduce the prices, reported New Straits Times.
In the English daily report, Penang KPDNHEP director Mohd Ridzuan Ab Ghapar explained that the price hike is due to the extreme cold weather in producing countries, as well as the increased cost of container transportation all of which have reduced the supply of imported vegetables.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Recent Solved Questions
- Calculate the shortest payback period for the project investment shown in Table 1. Which project has a better investment: Professional Engineering Techniques Home Work, APU, Malaysia
- Explain the term Explicit and Implicit costs. Give examples. What is Economic Profit as compared to Financial Profit: Managerial Economics Assignment, UON, Malaysia
- BBFA2203: The balance sheet date of BumBum Berhad is 31 December 2020 and the meeting of the Board of Directors is 25 March 2021: Intermediate Financial Accounting Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- The mean increment for the monthly salary of the employees from company A is RM 456.5 with a standard deviation of RM 90.5: statistics Assignment, UM, malaysia
- LAW1014: On 3 May 2014, Azam wrote to Ben offering to sell to Ben his boat for RM2 million: Business law Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- Discuss the growth strategies in Ansoff s Matrix that can be opted to Influence the growth of the newly developed product: Innovation management and new product development Assignment, APU, Malaysia
- HRM581: Mandy is a 20-year-old Malaysian employed as an Administrative Clerk at AMD Precision Sdn Bhd in Melaka: Malaysian Employment Law Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- HBET2303 The aim of this assignment is to train teachers to provide students with proper feedback on their writing practices: WRITING IN ESL Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- The purpose of this assignment is to establish students’ skills in identifying issues related to public policy: Bachelor of Environmental Management Assignment, UPM, Malaysia
- Choose two forms of media- one traditional (e.g., newspapers, radio, television) and one modern: Mass communication Assignment, TU, Malaysia