Penelope, aged 65, has suffered from schizophrenia for most of her adult life. Penelope’s son took her to see a doctor: Medical Law Report UCISS, Malaysia
|University||UCISS Malaysia (UCISS)|
(a) Penelope, aged 65, has suffered from schizophrenia for most of her adult life. Penelope’s son took her to see a doctor because she was complaining of severe abdominal pain and was losing weight. After preliminary investigations and a referral to see a consultant, the doctors believe she may have cancer of the uterus and they recommend exploratory surgery. Penelope denies that she has cancer and refuses surgery saying that the doctors ‘just want to use her for their experiments.’ The medical team wish to know whether they need a court order before they can operate. They also anticipate that she will physically resist treatment and want to know if a sedative can lawfully be administered to her at home so that she can be brought to hospital without a struggle.
b) Spencer, a competitive street dancer, developed sciatica, which involves compression of a spinal nerve causing pain and which affected his ability to walk. Spencer’s General Practitioner (GP) referred him to Mr Alvez, a neurosurgeon who works for the local NHS Trust. Mr Alvez recommended surgery. Mr Alvez says that, when he first met Spencer for a consultation, he asked Spencer whether he had any questions about the operation, and Spencer said ‘No, I don’t think so. I’ve already checked it out on the internet’. Despite the operation being performed by Mr Alvez with reasonable care, Spencer suffered damage to a nerve in his leg that has resulted in on-going pain and significantly reduced ability to walk unaided. The risk of this type of nerve damage occurs in around 2 per cent of cases. Spencer wishes to sue Mr Alvez and says that, had he known about this risk of permanent damage to a nerve in his leg, he thinks he would not have consented to the operation and would have persisted with physiotherapy and other non-surgical treatments for longer. Mr Alvez says that he assumed that Spencer was aware of the various treatment options and their respective risks.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Avail high-quality report writing help for Medical Law by the experts of Malaysia Assignment help our capable report writers can produce the detailed report on law assignments. you can also check BCM563 Construction Law Assignment Sample, LAW299 Business Law Assignment Sample, LAW346 Introduction To Partnership And Company Law Assignment Example, and LAW570 Law Relating To Health Care UiTM Assignment Example for expert guidance.
Recent Solved Questions
- ECO162: Explain briefly the type of business, the background of the company, and the type of product produced: Microeconomics Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- STA404: The depression scores of 25 patients were recorded before and after they had undergone therapy: Statistics for Business and Social Sciences Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- BAGB1013: Explain the concept of management and describe FOUR (4) function approach in management: Principles of Management Assignment, UIU, Malaysia
- Rajah 1 menunjukkan lukisan isometri bagi satu bongkah. Lukiskan secara manual saiz penuh bagi bongkah: Research and Project Management Report, OUM, Malaysia
- A patient’s sister, who often collects her brother’s medicine, asks for a photocopy of his repeat prescription: Pharmacy Practice Essay, TU, Malaysia
- En Amru Nazli memulakan perniagaan sebuah kedai emas yang di beri nama Emas Ria. Kedai ini mula beroperasi pada 1 hb Jan 2021: Principles of Accounting Assignment, USM, Malaysia
- On 1 January 2021, the company decided to issue 200,000 preference shares and 2,000,000 ordinary shares at RM1.40: Accounting Assignment, UM, Malaysia
- Electrons or holes arc moved between two contacts by drift current in a Field Effect Transistor: Enginnering Assignment, UMP, Malaysia
- A new genome-editing technology namely Clustered Regularly Interspaced Palindromic Repeats has been discovered: Medical Research Case Study, MU, Malaysia
- Introduce an online hospital information system to discuss the role of the hospital online information system for more efficient and effective communication: MBA in Healthcare Management, Essay, APU, Malaysia