Alexander the Great’s conquest of much of the Western world in the 4th century BC gave Hellenistic travelers: English Language Proficiency Essay, UOM, UK
|University||University of Malaya (UOM)|
|Subject||English Language Proficiency|
Alexander the Great’s conquest of much of the Western world in the 4th century BC gave Hellenistic travelers access to the civilizations of the Egyptians. Persians, and Babylonians.” Impressed and captivated by the landmarks and marvels of the various lands, these travelers began to list what they saw to remember them.
Instead of “wonders”, the ancient Greeks spoke of “thematic” (0Eduara), which means “sights”. in other words “things to be seen”. Later, the word “wonder” was used. Hence. the list was meant to be the Ancient World’s counterpart of a travel guidebook.
The first reference to a list of seven such monuments was given by Diodorus Siculus. The epigrammist Antipater of Sidon, who lived around or before 100 BC, gave a list of seven “wonders” including six of the present list.
I have gazed on the walls of impregnable Babylon along which chariots may race, and on the Zeus by the banks of the Alpheus, I have seen the hanging gardens and the Colossus of the Helios, the great man-made mountains of the lofty pyramids, and the gigantic tomb of Mausolus; but when I saw the sacred house of Artemis that towers to the clouds, the others were placed in the shade, for the sun himself, has never looked upon its equal outside Olympus.
Another ancient writer, who, perhaps dubiously, identified himself as Philo of Byzantium, wrote a short account entitled The Seven Sights of the World. The surviving manuscript is incomplete, missing its last pages. Still, from the preamble text, we can conclude that the list of seven sights exactly matches Antipater’s.
Earlier and later lists by the historian Herodotus and the poet Callimachus of Cyrene, housed at the Museum of Alexandria, survive only as references. The Colossus of Rhodes was the last of the seven to be completed after 280 BC and the first to be destroyed by an earthquake in 226/225 BC. As such, all seven wonders existed simultaneously for less than 60 years.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Get Help By Expert
Malaysia Assignment Help is the ultimate destination for students seeking professional assistance with their academic writing needs. We understand the struggles that students go through when it comes to assignments, essays, and research papers. That is why we have put together a team of highly qualified and experienced writers who are ready to help you achieve your academic goals. Our services are tailored to meet the specific needs of each student. Whether you need help with essay writing, dissertation writing, case studies, or any other type of assignment, we have the expertise to deliver high-quality work that meets your expectations.
Recent Solved Questions
- You are the project manager for your company’s MCP project. You are collaborating with your project team: Project Management Assignment, UTAR, Malaysia
- Nurse Education Today is the leading international journal providing a forum for the publication of high-quality original research: Nurse Education Research Paper, AU, Malaysia
- BAGB1013: Explain the concept of management and describe FOUR (4) function approach in management: Principles of Management Assignment, UIU, Malaysia
- LAW034: You are the renowned constitutional law expert in the country and have a column in a local daily: Introduction to Legal Theories Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- Evaluate each alternative solution that identified as per below Describe the strengths and weaknesses of the 5 solutions provided below: English Case Study, UON, Malaysia
- Across the street from a sandwich shop and a fried chicken joint, a greenmarket sprouts up every Wednesday in the Mott Haven: Effective English Assignment, UON, Malaysis
- MPU3223_V2: Choose a Popular Travel Agency in Malaysia Such as Reliance Travel: Entrepreneurship Assignment, OUM
- BBGO4103: Share an issue of organizational behavior in your workplace. ‘People’s job performance decreases as they age: Organisational Behaviour Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Imagine you are starting a new company and Write the details about the company plus the details of the product e.g., manufacturing processes, materials needed: BUSINESS MATHEMATICS Assignment, UTHM, Malaysia
- EP322: Figure 1 shows the production of methanol, in which a mixture of carbon dioxide (CO2) and hydrogen (H2) is reacted: Chemical Process Simulation and Design Report, UCSI, Malaysia