The U.S. firm Apple operates a digital ecosystem with its own hardware and software. Part of this ecosystem is an app store: Big Data and Ethics Essay, APU, Malaysia
|University||Asia Pacific University (APU)|
|Subject||Big Data and Ethics|
The U.S. firm Apple operates a digital ecosystem with its own hardware and software. Part of this ecosystem is an app store for which Apple holds a dominant position. Apple changed its policy of defaults in 2021: Users downloading applications from suppliers other than Apple would be asked explicitly whether they consented that the providers of these apps processed their data.
This also applies to apps that use tracking to display targeted advertising. Meta, another digital ecosystem operator, offers popular apps for services such as Instagram or WhatsApp. At the same time, Meta holds a dominant position in online advertising. Meta collects and uses data about user preferences to offer to advertise aligned with user preferences. Meta, like Apple, moreover has ambitious goals for developing new services involving Virtual Reality.
Both firms use their services also to facilitate the development of VR, which relies heavily on the analysis of user preferences. Meta currently appears to be at the forefront of VR technology. In Meta’s view, Apple is using its new policy to oust app developers cooperating with Meta from Apple’s ecosystem. This risk exists also objectively. Meta, hence, files a complaint with the European Commission, i.e., the main EU competition agency. Meta claims that Apple is abusing its dominant position under Art. 102 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
In its defense, Apple raises the following arguments:
- The General Data Protection Regulation requires suppliers of online services to get the consent of end users before processing their data. Regarding its App Store services, Apple has to comply with this requirement.
- Meta knows that although end users value privacy, they regularly provide their consent without thinking in order to quickly get access to online services. By exploiting this behavior, Meta is abusing its dominant position in online advertising.
Is Apple, on balance, acting in the interest of consumers?
How would you structure your legal reasoning on whether (a) Apple or (b) Meta is abusing its dominant position in terms of Art? 102 TFEU?
Google is another operator of a digital ecosystem, including a market-dominant search engine. Google supplies online advertising services which rely, among others, on the analysis of search queries. In Europe, Google uses pop-up windows to inform end users of their GDPR rights.
Google has stated publicly that it supports Apple’s policy change. Is Google acting anti-competitively? In your answer, you are not required to set out your arguments according to legal standards. However, the materials provided in the legal sessions of this course may help you to develop your arguments.
The same is true for the pedagogical material provided by Sebastian Köhler via Canvas. In addition, you may refer to any legal materials that you find relevant, but you are not required to do so. If you cite, please cite as precisely as possible.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
If you are wondering 'can I pay someone to do my assignment', MalaysiaAssignmentHelp.com is your answer! We offer premium quality assignment help services at highly affordable prices, with no compromise on the quality of work delivered. With us, you pay only for genuine work which is written from scratch and tailored to fit your exact specifications.
Recent Solved Questions
- What is the maximum amount you would pay for an asset that generates an income of $150,000 at the end of each: Managerial Economic Assignment, UNMC, Malaysia
- Describe the business background and organizational structure of the selected company: Finance Accounting Assignment, UM, Malaysia
- students are required to evaluate the psychological tests and reflect on the usability of the test in the Malaysian context: Psychological Test and Measurements Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- CDCT2203: This assignment aims to evaluate the learner’s knowledge by discussing the impact of ICT on the public and assessing: Information Technology and Environment Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Penelope, aged 65, has suffered from schizophrenia for most of her adult life. Penelope’s son took her to see a doctor: Medical Law Report UCISS, Malaysia
- SBFS1103: Assuming you are a production manager in a semiconductor manufacturing company in Penang: Thinking Skills and Problem Solving Report, OUM, Malaysia
- OUMH2203: You are employed in a famous entertainment company in Malaysia and You are required to make a presentation about a new service to help with the recovery: English For Workplace Communication Report, OUM, Malaysia
- CIS2021-N: You work as a software developer for the fictitious ThreeAmigos Corp and The company wishes to overtake its rival ManshaCo: Web Apps and Services Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- The concessionaire of the proposed Petaling Jaya Dispersal Link is seeking a listing on Bursa Malaysia via the reverse takeover: Stakeholder Management Assignment, LUC, Malaysia
- BBFA2203: Discuss the definition of companies’ capital structure and Discuss the differences between debt capital and equity capital of companies: Intermediate Financial Accounting Assignment, OUM, Malaysia