Light pollution is defined as the alteration of naturally occurring light levels during the night environment by artificial lighting: Marine Sciences Dissertation, USM, Malaysia
|University||Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)|
Light pollution is defined as the alteration of naturally occurring light levels during the night environment by artificial lighting (Cinzano et al., 2001) and is one of the least known pollutions in public perception. We tend to associate light as a positive sign and regard light as our friend. That is why it had received very little attention from the scientific community. During the day, we are covered with bright sunlight; but during the night, we need to use illumination light as our naked eyes can detect photons and wavelengths of ‘visible light’ to navigate around (Sliney, 2002).
Light pollution during the day is largely minimal and overshadowed by the more powerful sunlight, thus it is negligible to most organisms. Light pollution at night is more prominent with the invention and prevalent usage of light-emitting diode (LED) lamps and electric light. 70% of the entire world and 99% of the United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) are affected by light pollution (Cinzano et al., 2001).
This lighting technology greatly enhanced our economic viability and general safety at night, but it comes with environmental costs. Artificial Light at Night (ALAN) had serious adverse effects on human, ecological, and evolutionary repercussions for populations of animals and plants and has the potential to change the entire ecosystem (Hölker et al., 2010).
The exact negative impacts of light pollution on marine animals, however, are not well studied and remain vague. There is some exception for it, for instance – Sea Turtle (Tuxbury & Salmon, 2005), Seal (Yurk & Trites, 2000), and White Shark (Neil Hammerschlag et al., 2014).
Previous studies prove that Artificial Light at Night (ALAN) will affect single marine organisms. But so far, the knowledge of how light pollution affects entire benthic ecosystems remains unclear. There is an international student-training program called Globular Approach Modular Experiment (GAME) that is based in Kiel, Germany and is very interested in how exactly benthic ecosystems will respond to Artificial Light at Night (ALAN). In 2021, a group of students from GAME 2021 had already done research on the influence of ALAN on sea urchins. I am a participant in GAME 2022, in which I will explore the effect of ALAN on the filtration and activity pattern of the mussels.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Embark on a triumphant academic odyssey with Malaysia's premier Assignment Writing Service. At Malaysia Assignment Help, we fuel your marine sciences dissertation journey with innovative solutions and unwavering support. Conquer new depths of research prowess at Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) as our Dissertation Writing Service offers personalized guidance and cutting-edge resources. Harness the expertise of seasoned professionals and witness your ideas come to life, setting sail toward scholarly excellence. Join us in shaping the future of marine sciences, one dissertation at a time
Recent Solved Questions
- To become more aware of critical aspects of the service encounter from a customer’s perspective: Service Marketing Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- BSL305 :In order to obtain the funds necessary to expand its business, Capital Ltd will undertake a $12M capital raising: Company Law Assignment, MU, Malaysia
- FIT1048: You are asked to write a set of C++ classes that simulate the operation of an airline: Fundamentals of C++ Assignment, MUM, Malaysia
- Choose 3 cryptocurrencies from the list that you think can become important cryptocurrencies in the future: Information System Management Report, UTM, Malaysia
- HRM581: Mandy is a 20-year-old Malaysian employed as an Administrative Clerk at AMD Precision Sdn Bhd in Melaka: Malaysian Employment Law Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- STA404: The depression scores of 25 patients were recorded before and after they had undergone therapy: Statistics for Business and Social Sciences Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- Describe the steps in the recruitment and selection process. Discuss the recruitment and selection of your own organization: Human Resource Management Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- DSC7053: You are required to find any classification dataset whether from UCI or Kaggle in any field: Machine Learning Assignment Malaysia
- ENT300: On 1st November, my friend and I decided to start a business that focuses on gadget consulting services: Fundamentals of Entrepreneurship Report, UiTM, Malaysia
- Pick an industry and classify firms according to the 4 different roles they might play: leader, challenger, follower: Marketing Strategy Assignment, ASB, Malaysia