Physical restraint (PR) is the term used to describe limiting a patient’s motions and preventing them from moving around: Nursing Thesis, USM, Malaysia
|University||Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)|
Physical restraint (PR) is the term used to describe limiting a patient’s motions and preventing them from moving around freely either by attaching physiological or mechanical gadgets to the patient’s body or by using a brief physical force from the medical staff (Ye et al., 2019). In addition, Woldekirkos et al. (2021) stated that physical restraint is defined as any device, material, or piece of equipment that is attached to or adjoining to an individual’s body and that person cannot easily remove, immobilize, or restrict the individual’s ability to move their parts of the body freely and have normal access to their own body.
According to Lee, Välimäki, and Lantta (2021), these are frequently used in mental care settings. On occasion, they would be the only choice left to limit therapy interference and maintain patient safety. The main purpose of using physical restraints is to stop patients from hurting themselves or others. Additionally, they guarantee security, regulate agitation, control undesired behavior and aggressiveness, and guard against falls and accidents.
The use of physical restraint is a topic of intense dispute because it raises ethical and legal considerations that may harm patients’ autonomy and dignity. Physical restraint is only used as a last resort by medical personnel when all other measures have failed and the patient’s safety is in jeopardy, such as when they are at risk of falling, injuring themselves or others, yanking out tubes, or behaving aggressively or violently.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Except for emergencies, multidisciplinary teams should debate each individual’s decision about restraint, involving the person and their family as much as feasible. Quality Improvement Standards on Restraint and Tranquility Crisis Intervention Training Program states that restraint or seclusion should only be used when it can be therapeutically justified or when patient behavior justifies it by endangering the physical patient’s safety, staff, or others.
Additionally, to ensure the patient’s, staff’s, or others’ physical safety, the hospital employs the least restrictive kind of restriction possible. The use of constraint, evaluation, and reevaluation of the patients who are restrained or sequestered, documentation of the use of restraint or solitude, and staff training to safely administer the use of restraint or solitary confinement must all be governed by written policies and procedures.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the Joint Commission have established the guidelines for applying physical constraints including the kind of device used for a patient’s PR, the circumstance under which to implement PR, the frequency of using physical restraint, the patient monitoring process, situations under which PR is released such as toileting or repositioning, as well as the measurable goals for the use of PR (CMS, n.d.). Countries and accreditation agencies have begun to encourage research that advocates for restricting the use of physical restraints due to advancements in patient rights over the past few decades.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Physical conditions used incorrectly have the potential to be very harmful to patients. Patients who are exposed to physical constraints can die due to issues related to the circulatory system, the respiratory system, and incontinence, as well as pneumonia, constipation, and incontinence. Additionally, studies show that individuals who have been physically restrained undergo blood chemistry alterations in addition to behavioral and mental issues like fear, panic, fury, and rage.
Some of a nurse’s most important moral and legal obligations include maintaining a safe atmosphere and shielding patients from harm. For instance, protecting patients from falls and other accidents is a key sign of the quality of the care nurses offer.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
Are you looking for a dependable, cost-effective essay writing service that produces superior results? Malaysiaassignmenthelp.com is your ideal solution! Our professional writers are knowledgeable in a wide range of subjects and can help craft an excellent paper to meet all your specifications. With our assignment help service in Malaysia, you don't need to worry about plagiarism or deadlines - our experts have got it covered for you! Entrust us with your project today and experience top-notch quality work at competitive prices.
Recent Solved Questions
- ITS63304: You need to provide the rationale and justification on how your application can support the specific target: Object Oriented Programming Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- Your final piece of assessment for this Module is a research report. It will be based on the data set you will be given: Statistic Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- Discuss the importance and types of audits in an organization and Suggest the possible issues related to the financial statement: Auditing Assignment, MUS, Malaysia
- BUS7AO: Critically evaluate the components which are widely recognised as contributory factors to the concept and occurrence of risk: Evaluating Risk Report, UOM, Malaysia
- UECM1534: The file “Sports Sales.csv” contains data on the sales of products by sports companies around the world. Write a Python script that performs the following tasks in the given order: Programming Techniques for Data Processing Assignment, NUM, Malaysia
- CBCA2103: The purpose of this assignment is to assess learners’ understanding of CPU organization, instructions format, and addressing mode: COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Analyze current economic news using one or more of the macroeconomic frameworks presented in the course: Economics Assignment, UON, Malaysia
- Anthony and Hannah are a young married couple who got married nine years ago. Both of them are 32 years old and have three children: Personal Finance and Insurance Assignment, APU, Malaysia
- Seb has been employed by Longton Water Company plc, Northampton, maintaining and repairing water pipes since: Employment Law Course Work, UiTM, Malaysia
- BU7411: Analyse critically the differences between contemporary international marketing environments, in particular, the importance of cultural differences and consumer behaviour: International marketing Assignment, UOC, Malaysia