ECONOMICS 223: Refined sugar producer MSM Malaysia Holdings Bhd’s profitability may be affected if the new government lowers the ceiling price of refined sugar: Mikroeconomy Case Study, USM, Malaysia
|University||Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)|
|Subject||ECONOMICS 223: Mikroeconomy|
Refined sugar producer MSM Malaysia Holdings Bhd’s profitability may be affected if the new government lowers the ceiling price of refined sugar. According to CIMB Research, the new administration may review the existing ceiling price in view of the lower raw sugar prices. This is in line with Pakatan Harapan’s election manifesto which aims to alleviate the rising cost of living. Currently, the country’s ceiling retail price of refined sugar is RM2.95 per kg.
In March last year, the price was raised by 11 sen per kg, given the then sharp rise in international raw sugar prices to US$0.186 per pound. CIMB Research also said that MSM is expected to record a better financial performance in its second quarter of the financial year 2018 (2Q18), following a weak start to the current financial year. “MSM turned around to report a core net profit of RM16mil in 1Q18, due mainly to lower raw sugar costs.
However, the group was not able to fully capture the benefits of the lower raw sugar costs during the quarter, as it had locked in its raw sugar at 14 US cents to 15 US cents per pound, which is higher than the average international raw sugar price of 13 US cents per pound. “This led to a lower-than-expected profit margin and a 1Q18 core net profit that made up just 14% of our full-year forecast and 12% of the consensus number,” said the research house in a note, while maintaining its “reduce” call on MSM. Target price-wise, it was lowered to RM2.77 from RM2.89 previously. However, CIMB Research projected challenging earnings prospects for the refined sugar producer in the second half of the financial year 2018. This expectation was on the back of higher depreciation and interest expense costs relating to its new sugar refinery in Johor, which is due to come on stream in end-June 2018. Meanwhile, MIDF Research said that MSM’s profit margin is anticipated to recover in 2018, given the soon-to-be-completed refinery plant in Johor, which would further drive the production cost lower.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
If you are searching for a Custom case study to help Malaysia at a low cost then don’t panic, Malaysia Assignment Help is here. Our experts are skilled, qualified, and experienced in various fields of study. You can also request us “do my assignment” and our professional writers will write your ECONOMICS 223: Mikroeconomy assignment solution based on your specifications.
Recent Solved Questions
- “Retaining talent, inculcating a sense of loyalty for maintaining efficiency in terms of profit generation: Management Functions and Behavior Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Choose one addictive behaviour, assess how COVID-19 might have affected it, and also appraise how COVID-19 might affect future policy and practice in relation to that addictive behaviour: Policy Essay, USM, Malaysia
- CBMS4303: Information system is one of the big and popular issues where most companies and organizations currently struggling to get the best out of their data management: Management information system Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Use Porter’s 5-Forces model to analyze IHH’s competitive standing in Malaysia’s healthcare industry: Strategic Management Assignment, ASB, Malaysia
- Discuss the endocrine system and its components as well as the physiology of a Diabetes mellitus patient: anatomy Assignment, Malaysia
- Dwyer et al. (2018) review on differences of the policy and business of digital media in Australia and South Korea by using: Managing Organizational Change Assignment, MUM, Malaysia
- BBCM4103: Why Conduct a Job Analysis?’You have been asked to speak about this topic to junior staff And Write down the important points: Compensation Management Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- BNNS6253 There is an increase in the prevalence of Colorectal cancer in Malaysia and worldwide. Nurses have a vital role in the early: Gastrointestinal Nursing Essay, LUC, Malaysia
- SKAA 4313: A footbridge is required to provide communication between residential areas on either side of a dual carriageway road: Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design Assignment, UTM, Malaysia
- KMC3264: The media industry is constantly evolving, and companies often need to be able to adapt to thrive or survive: Managing Media and Business Assignment, SUT, Malaysia