ECONOMICS 223: Refined sugar producer MSM Malaysia Holdings Bhd’s profitability may be affected if the new government lowers the ceiling price of refined sugar: Mikroeconomy Case Study, USM, Malaysia
|University||Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)|
|Subject||ECONOMICS 223: Mikroeconomy|
Refined sugar producer MSM Malaysia Holdings Bhd’s profitability may be affected if the new government lowers the ceiling price of refined sugar. According to CIMB Research, the new administration may review the existing ceiling price in view of the lower raw sugar prices. This is in line with Pakatan Harapan’s election manifesto which aims to alleviate the rising cost of living. Currently, the country’s ceiling retail price of refined sugar is RM2.95 per kg.
In March last year, the price was raised by 11 sen per kg, given the then sharp rise in international raw sugar prices to US$0.186 per pound. CIMB Research also said that MSM is expected to record a better financial performance in its second quarter of the financial year 2018 (2Q18), following a weak start to the current financial year. “MSM turned around to report a core net profit of RM16mil in 1Q18, due mainly to lower raw sugar costs.
However, the group was not able to fully capture the benefits of the lower raw sugar costs during the quarter, as it had locked in its raw sugar at 14 US cents to 15 US cents per pound, which is higher than the average international raw sugar price of 13 US cents per pound. “This led to a lower-than-expected profit margin and a 1Q18 core net profit that made up just 14% of our full-year forecast and 12% of the consensus number,” said the research house in a note, while maintaining its “reduce” call on MSM. Target price-wise, it was lowered to RM2.77 from RM2.89 previously. However, CIMB Research projected challenging earnings prospects for the refined sugar producer in the second half of the financial year 2018. This expectation was on the back of higher depreciation and interest expense costs relating to its new sugar refinery in Johor, which is due to come on stream in end-June 2018. Meanwhile, MIDF Research said that MSM’s profit margin is anticipated to recover in 2018, given the soon-to-be-completed refinery plant in Johor, which would further drive the production cost lower.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
If you are searching for a Custom case study to help Malaysia at a low cost then don’t panic, Malaysia Assignment Help is here. Our experts are skilled, qualified, and experienced in various fields of study. You can also request us “do my assignment” and our professional writers will write your ECONOMICS 223: Mikroeconomy assignment solution based on your specifications.
Recent Solved Questions
- A cascade aerator consisting of three circular trays with a total height of fall of 1.8 m is designed to treat a flow of 50 MLD: Water Treatment Engineering Course Work, UPM, Malaysia
- AFT1083: Refined sugar producer MSM Malaysia Holdings Bhd’s profitability may be affected if the new government lowers: Microeconomics Case Study, UMK, Malaysia
- UBML2013: Select any one current news report from Star Online that is relevant to any topic from Topic 5 to Topic 8: Company Law Report, UTAR, Malaysia
- LAW 3711: Mee Lan left RM 3000 for the maintenance of aged and poor people at Gunung Ledang: Equity & Trusts II Assignment, IIUM, Malaysia
- PBD10202: Steph was looking at Instagram there were blessed yoga photos and Sunday Breakfast pictures: ENGLISH II Essay, IIUM, Malaysia
- The Malaysian bond market will remain one of the world’s most advanced project financing markets in the world: Financial Management Assignment, MMU, Malaysiax
- COVID-19 pandemic has significantly affected many industries and companies as well as major economies: Financial Accounting and Reporting Assignment, USM, Malaysia
- Develop a gas pipeline system for a location consisting of at least residential units and commercial lots: Bachelor of Engineering Chemical-Gas Report, APU, Malaysia
- Discuss the tragedy happened in this movie from the point of view of the Domino Theory and Multiple Causation Theory: Occupational Safety and Health Management Report, OUM, malaysia
- ASM657: Explain how the idea will help to improve the quality of life and psychological well-being. how does the innovation deliver: Innovative Thinking Strategy Case Study, UiTM, Malaysia