BM6023: The financial characteristics of companies vary for many reasons The two most prominent drivers are industry economics and firm strategy: Managerial Accounting & Finance Case Study, HWU, Malaysia
|University||Heriot-Watt University (HWU)|
|Subject||BM6023: Managerial Accounting & Finance|
The financial characteristics of companies vary for many reasons. The two most prominent drivers are industry economics and firm strategy. Each industry has a financial norm around which companies within the industry tend to operate.
An airline, for example, would naturally be expected to have a high proportion of fixed assets, while a consulting firm would not. A steel manufacturer would be expected to have a lower gross margin than a pharmaceutical manufacturer because commodities such as steel are subject to strong price competition, while highly differentiated products like patented drugs enjoy much more pricing freedom.
Because of the unique economic features of each industry, average financial statements will vary from one industry to the next. Similarly, companies within industries have different financial characteristics, in part, because of the diverse strategies that can be employed.
Executives choose strategies that will position their company favourably in the competitive jockeying within an industry. Strategies typically entail making important choices in how a product is made, how it is marketed, and how the company is financed. Strategies among companies in the same industry can differ dramatically.
Different strategies can produce striking differences in financial results for firms in the same industry. The following paragraphs describe pairs of participants in several different industries. Their strategies and market niches provide clues as to the financial condition and performance that one would expect of them.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
Malaysia assignment help provides you case study writing help in which our expert writers will assist you and write your Managerial Accounting & Finance Case Study in a 100% flowless & error-less manner before the deadline of your university at a reasonable price.
Recent Solved Questions
- MKT209: This case is about the social network Facebook, which needs no introduction When we first featured it in an earlier edition: Digital Marketing Case Study, HU, Malaysia
- MPA10203: Choose a local company that manufactures products or provides services: Operation Management Assignment, UTHM, Malaysia
- As a creative director of a new fashion company, you are required to create one fashionable product: Management & Innovation Assignment, SC, Malaysia
- FIN379: Mr. Fauzi is an active trader. He believes that the current economic condition will give an impact on the prices of stock: Introduction to futures and options Assignment, MUM, Malaysia
- UKFB3053: Discuss whether it is rationale for the Royal Commission of Inquiry (“RCI”) to revisiting the allegations on the matter in 2017: Financial Markets & Regulations Assignment, UTAR, Malaysia
- Apply medical and surgical nursing knowledge of cardiovascular and respiratory disorders in delivering holistic care to clients: Medical Surgical Case Study, MU, Malaysia
- XBLR3103 OSH Legislation Assignment – OUM
- BADB1014: An invoice dated December 23 is received with a shipment of basketball equipment from Taiwan on May 18 of the following year: QUANTITATIVE METHODS Assignment, UIU, Malaysia
- PAF3043: On 1st June 2019 MTB Berhad acquired a piece of property for RM180 million through a bargain purchase: Financial accounting Assignment, UPSI, Malaysia
- A firm’s short-run total cost function is 𝑇𝐶 = 𝑞 2 − 3𝑞 + 500 The firm is a monopolist and the inverse demand function for its product is 𝑝 = −𝑞 + 105: Introduction to Mathematical Economics Assignment, UMS, Malaysia