BM6023: The financial characteristics of companies vary for many reasons The two most prominent drivers are industry economics and firm strategy: Managerial Accounting & Finance Case Study, HWU, Malaysia
|University||Heriot-Watt University (HWU)|
|Subject||BM6023: Managerial Accounting & Finance|
The financial characteristics of companies vary for many reasons. The two most prominent drivers are industry economics and firm strategy. Each industry has a financial norm around which companies within the industry tend to operate.
An airline, for example, would naturally be expected to have a high proportion of fixed assets, while a consulting firm would not. A steel manufacturer would be expected to have a lower gross margin than a pharmaceutical manufacturer because commodities such as steel are subject to strong price competition, while highly differentiated products like patented drugs enjoy much more pricing freedom.
Because of the unique economic features of each industry, average financial statements will vary from one industry to the next. Similarly, companies within industries have different financial characteristics, in part, because of the diverse strategies that can be employed.
Executives choose strategies that will position their company favourably in the competitive jockeying within an industry. Strategies typically entail making important choices in how a product is made, how it is marketed, and how the company is financed. Strategies among companies in the same industry can differ dramatically.
Different strategies can produce striking differences in financial results for firms in the same industry. The following paragraphs describe pairs of participants in several different industries. Their strategies and market niches provide clues as to the financial condition and performance that one would expect of them.
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
Malaysia assignment help provides you case study writing help in which our expert writers will assist you and write your Managerial Accounting & Finance Case Study in a 100% flowless & error-less manner before the deadline of your university at a reasonable price.
Recent Solved Questions
- Trendy is a new line of skin-care products which use seeds, flowers and fruits as the main ingredients: ENGLISH Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- The library is the best place to look for information for many people. Every library in Malaysia must have its own services: Fundamental of Library Administration Assignment, UCISS, Malaysia
- Kirakan nisbah kewangan bagi Asyeek Berhad bagi tahun 2015 berserta komen, prestasi syarikat berbanding purata industri: Financial Management Assignment, KYPJ, Malaysia
- CT047-3-M BDAT: Analysis and Solutions (Proposing a Big Data Conceptual Framework): Big Data Analytics & Technologies Assignment, AUTI, Malaysia
- 5611TECYPC This is an individual assignment focusing on designing the operational activities of a business within a specific business sector: Operations and Technology Management Report, Malaysia
- Select a particular MNC from the industrial sector of your choice and Discuss what are the Threats and Internal control: Accounting Information System Assignment, UCISS, Malaysia
- Madam D, a 30-year-old accountant with a diagnosis of colorectal cancer stage 3 has undergone surgery: Oncology Nursing Essay, OUM, Malaysia
- BMG306/03: A central bank, reserve bank, or monetary authority, is an entity responsible for the monetary policy of its country: Introduction to International Business Assignment, WOU, Malaysia
- Discuss critically the 3 Short-term Impacts & 3 Long-term Impacts of the Covid-19 Pandemic on Economic: Economic Assignment, MMU, Malaysia
- Select TWO foreign cultures, one from the East and one from the West of the world. Compare and evaluate the differences between: Business Assignment, TU, Malaysia