Across the street from a sandwich shop and a fried chicken joint, a greenmarket sprouts up every Wednesday in the Mott Haven: Effective English Assignment, UON, Malaysis
|University||University of Nottingham (UON)|
Across the street from a sandwich shop and a fried chicken joint, a green market sprouts up every Wednesday in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx in New York City. The market is a welcome sight in an area that does not have many options for people to buy fresh fruit and vegetables.
Mott Haven, a neighbourhood in the South Bronx, is located in one of the poorest areas in the country. In other New York City neighbourhoods, green markets are more common, but here there aren’t many places to buy healthy, organic food.
The summer of 2012 was the first time that the Youthmarket set up shop in this section of the Bronx, on 3rd Ave. between E. 148th and E. 149th Streets. The Youthmarket is part of a larger organization called GrowNYC, which helps make neighbourhoods better by setting up farmers’ markets, community gardens, and recycling in the city.
Since opening in July 2012, the market has attracted a lot of attention from residents who live in the area. Many people are excited that there is now a fresh produce market nearby.
When the wind shifts, the smell of cilantro floats across the sidewalk, calling attention to the bright red radishes, purple potatoes, and juicy plums. At the market, you can also buy red and green peppers, mushrooms, squash, and apples.
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Malaysian Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
The food comes from nearby farms just outside the city limits. There is one whole table just for corn, which people buy in bulk, sometimes 10 or 15 ears at a time. Corn is the most popular item. The market sells 400 to 500 pounds of produce each Wednesday.
Ryan Morningstar, who helps run the Youth market, said that about 12 to 18 per cent of the money they make comes from government assistance like food stamps. Food stamps help people buy food if they can’t afford it themselves. On its opening day, the market made $216.50 from food stamps alone, a record high for Grow NYC Youth markets across the city.
The Mott Haven market makes a total of around $700 a week. The market also accepts other government food assistance, such as the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program, which provides financial assistance and food allocations thus allowing low-income residents to get “fresh, unprepared, locally grown fruits and vegetables,” explains the United States Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Services website.
Delphia Omborura, a hairstylist who works in the area, loves to shop at the farmer’s market in Mott Haven. On a Wednesday afternoon last September, she bought four bushels of large red beets to juice in a blender at home. She said that beets are more expensive in a regular grocery store.
Mamie Jackson also likes going to the farmer’s market. She said that she likes the fresh look of the produce at the market, which looks different from what the grocery stores sell. “I’d rather wash the dirt off a cucumber,” she said. “The ones at the grocery store are sprayed with a lot of stuff to make them look shiny.”
Stuck in Completing this Assignment and feeling stressed ? Take our Private Writing Services.
Get Help By Expert
If you struggling to finish your assignment then, get expert help at MalaysiaAssignmentHelp.com. who can customize your Effective English assignment according to your university requirement before the deadline at a pocket-friendly price?
Recent Solved Questions
- “Every line manager is also an HR manager”. Clearly explain the meaning of this statement in the context of the changing role of the HR function: Human Resource Management Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- BMFM31115: Interpret standard financial metrics and valuations in order to effectively communicate sound and ethical financial decisions: Financial management Assignment, AIMST University, Malaysia
- encourage the recognition of Physics principles taught in class in the everyday world: Physics Assignment, UTM, malaysia
- The visitor’s walk is along a straight line parallel to the wall. The viewer is looking both at the wall and forward: Computer Graphic Assignment, SUC, Malaysia
- This assignment requires students to write a strong persuasive position paper Students are to use reasoning and evidence to persuade and convince: Political Communication Assignment, MSU, Malaysia
- When they come into force the provisions of the Environment Bill 2019-2021 will give real substance to the Government: Environmental Law Assignment, TUL, Malaysia
- ACT3114: On 1 January 20X1, Redial Sdn Bhd purchased a machine for RM1,800 Redial will depreciate the machine on a straight-line basis over its useful life of 15 years: Financial Accounting and reporting 2 Assignment, UPM, Malaysia
- PSP0101: The coronavirus disease 2019 hit Malaysia in early 2020 and has caused several lockdowns or partial lockdowns in the afford to contain the virus from spreading to the population: Problem Solving and Program Design Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- BBM 102: Consider Figure 1 below, which depicts the rubber market in Malaysia At the initial market equilibrium: Microeconomics Assignment, WOU, Malaysia
- FIN60104: Financial ratio analysis can be used for identifying some performance-related issues faced by a firm. Indeed: Introduction to Finance Assignment, TU, Malaysia