Sulfur dioxide (SO₂) is a harmful gas primarily emitted from fossil fuel combustion at the TAPCO power plant: Mass Transfer Assignment, MUM, Malaysia
|Monash University Malaysia (MUM)
- Sulfur dioxide (SO₂) is a harmful gas primarily emitted from fossil fuel combustion at the TAPCO power plant. The outlet stream from the fuel combustion chamber flows a gas mixture containing 10 mol% SO₂ and 90 mol% air with a molar mass of 64.0 kg/kg mol and 28.8 kg/kg mol, respectively. This gas mixture is to be scrubbed with water (H₂O) to
remove about 97 % of the SO₂ in a tower packed with 20 mm ceramic Rasching rings and having a cross-sectional area of 0.540 m² at 1 atm total pressure and 30 °C. The feed rate is 1500 kg/hr and the SO₂-Water equilibrium data is given in Table 1.
Table 1: SO₂-Water Equilibrium Data at 30 °C.
i. Determine the optimum liquid flow rate to be supplied in this packed tower by stating all relevant justifications.
ii. Determine the packed tower height, z if the major resistance to the mass transfer is in the gas phase.
- In the LFIA chemical plant, a gas absorption tower is used to recover a methanol vapor (CH₃OH) from the air by using water as a solvent. The inlet capacity of gas flow rate into the gas absorption tower is 100 kg mol/hour, with a mole fraction of 20.0% CH₃OH. Inside the tower, a gas mixture at 1.0 atm containing air and CH₃OH is contacted with 300 kg mol/hour pure water at 59.4 °C. The equilibrium data for the methanol-water system is tabulated in Table 1.
Table 1: CH₃OH-water Equilibrium Data at 59.4 °C
i. Calculate the number of actual stages needed by using the analytical equation for overall tray efficiency of 25%, if the tower is desired to achieve at least 85% of CH₃OH recovery.
ii. Determine the optimum liquid flow rate by using 1.5 times the limiting rate and calculate the percentage of excess liquid solvent in this system.
Get Solution of this Assessment. Hire Experts to solve this assignment for you Before Deadline.
Get Help By Expert
Malaysiaassignmenthelp.com is the go-to website for diploma assignment help. It offers reliable, trustworthy assistance to diploma students who need extra guidance in preparing their assignments. With its dedicated team of highly experienced and skilled professionals, Malaysia Assignment Help is the ideal place for diploma seekers looking for dependable assistance to get the job done fast and efficiently.
Recent Solved Questions
- An executive summary is an extended abstract of the report. It could be a few paragraphs summarizing: International Marketing for Managers Essay, UMS, Malaysia
- Mr. James Bond is a British Citizen working with a multinational company based in Shah Alam: Taxation 1 Assignment, SU, Malaysia
- ‘Gardeners love this crap: That’s the slogan for Pierce Ledbetter’s Memphis, Tennessee-based company, Zoo Doo: Entrepreneurship Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- DBLC9755: The most challenging aspect of a business is leading and managing change. With the business environment being subject: Managing Change & Leadership Assignment, HWU, Malaysia
- AngTiong offered to sell his pharmacy to Zol for RM1 million via letter: Business Law Assignment, TU, Malaysia
- HBEC1103: Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) programs, such as Montessori, High Scope, Reggio Emilia, and Waldorf: Introduction to Early Childhood Education Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- The assignment’s goal is to gain an understanding of the fundamentals of financial accounting: Financial Accounting and Reporting Assignment, OUM, Malaysia
- Based on research done by Mr. Rushikesh S. Raut, the use of object-oriented programming has increased in the software: Object Oriented Programming Assignment, UiTM, Malaysia
- GSGM7223 Discuss how should Adams and his teams keep the organization aligned with changes in the environment?: MANAGING ORGANISATION Assignment, UNITAR, MALAYSIA
- MKW2460: Your group is to assume that you are the Marketing Communication Manager (IMC Manager), and you are to develop a new product: Integrated marketing communication Report, MUM, Malaysia